Searching for Compound Words in Hebrew

timothylfox

Could someone please explain to me how to search for compound words in Hebrew? I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to get accordance to search this way, even when I am using quotation marks and/or equals signs.

For example, I want to search for every occurence of וְיָשַׁב in Samuel, but Accordance seems to only want me to search for "ו" and "יָשַׁב" separately. How do I tell Accordance that I want to search for these exactly as I have pasted them above?

Thank you,

Tim

Could someone please explain to me how to search for compound words in Hebrew? I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to get accordance to search this way, even when I am using quotation marks and/or equals signs.

For example, I want to search for every occurence of וְיָשַׁב in Samuel, but Accordance seems to only want me to search for "ו" and "יָשַׁב" separately. How do I tell Accordance that I want to search for these exactly as I have pasted them above?

Thank you,

Tim

If you add a space between them the search will work. This is due to the morph tagging by the Groves Institute, and not something we control in the search syntax of Accordance.

Accordance has to search for them separately but it will find them as a phrase. I suggest selecting the word in the text, and choosing how you want to search from the right-click menu: as lemmas, inflected, or root. You can then see how it sets up the search, and if it adds an = sign, you can remove it to broaden the search by ignoring vowels and other marks.