NT use of Deuteronomy

ryangeer

Is there a simple (or not) way to find all the NT references to Deuteronomy in, for example, the NAS95 notes?

Hi Ryan,

if you open the NAS notes in a new zone, it automatically defaults to a reference search.

If you put Dt (or Deut etc) in the search field. it will find all the references to Deuteronomy in the NAS notes.

There is no way I know of to limit that to the New Testament, but if you open the contents area post-29509-0-82263400-1349475956.jpg you will be able to see where all the notes occur and scroll to the New Testament occurrences.

Not quite what you want, but it works.

Edited by Ken Simpson

I am not entirely sure if I understand your question. I think, however, that if you were to search the NAS95 notes for Scripture (Deut), as a base, and then also pass through a second argument of (and) of Matt- Rev, you find everywhere that the individuals of the NAS believed a quote or allusion to Deut is present in the NT.

EDIT: added a screen shot to visualize what I said above:

Edited by James Tucker

Thanks James,

I didn't think of that. However, I think my method would be more accurate because wouldn't yours pick up OT reference that "reference" the NT rather than just the NT references to the OT?

Well — the accuracy depends on the sufficiency in explaining the question, so I can't say.

To answer your question, no. I think you are confusing what Accordance considers a reference in a Bible Verse order tool. The reference is that which Accordance uses to track the biblical text. It's technically not scripture; thus, in the above search I used it to create a range in a sense. I am therefore searching within that pseudo-range for the Scripture which is delimited by "Deut".

Ahah - it's my not looking at the screenshot properly. I didn't notice that one tab was "scripture" and the other "reference". Got it! Thanks James!!

Our (joint) pleasure Ryan.

The little-known range feature in a Tools browser allows you to do this quickly. Shift-option click on Matt-Rev in the browser to mark it in red and limit your searches to this range. Then search the Scripture for Deut.

RefSearch.png