Tools recommendations

Larry Wing

I'm totally new to Accordance (10) and am looking to fill out my Tools a little and could use some recommendations.

I have the other guys software on both my Windows and Mac so some tools I don't think I want to re-invest in (as an example HALOT/BDAG) and want to focus more on general Bible study rather than languages. So I think I'm looking more toward commentaries, dictionaries, maybe maps and timelines.

I've started with the Bible Study Collection and have added ESV Study Bible, Cavin's Institutes, and Mounce's basic bundle.

Any recommendations that are good for general Bible Study?

Thanks,

Larry

My husband and I have come to love the Expositor's Bible Commentary. There is a new release due out this month. Not cheap, but very good.

I would also consider picking up more Bible versions - the NAS95 with Strong's Numbers Group, the Amplified, and the NRSV. The best commentary on the Bible really is the Bible, and frequently comparison of versions helps me to see things I might otherwise miss, and causes me to ask questions I might not otherwise ask.

Also consider all the IVP dictionaries. Very thorough.

I use the Maps almost daily, the Timeline regularly, and use both when we teach. I also frequently go to the Bible Lands PhotoGuide. We've also used that resource in our teaching.

Note that many of these modules go on sale, and, in the past, there has usually been a deal sometime in the winter (if I remember correctly) when you can get a large discount on a single module of your choosing. That is the best time to get a pricey one. Start building your Wish List.

I've been building my Accordance module library for 9 years now. I'm addicted, and love having so many resources at my fingertips. I cannot imagine reading or studying the Word without it. Not only that, I don't have to buy bookcases and then dust all of it!

Note also that the licensing of some of the resources you already own in other software may allow you to get them in Accordance at a discount. The folks at Accordance would be able to help you with that.

There are a couple of modules that I want that are in the works or on the "to do" list. Rather than purchasing in Logos or somewhere else, I'm just going to wait. I have plenty to keep me busy right now.

• Like 2

Thank you, Julie. I've put your suggestions on my list to check out.

I already have the NAS95 on my wishlist. I know it's out of favor now, but for a long time I used it and still find it very useful.

As far as the Expositors, are you referring to the one that's $130 or the revised on on sale for $320? I'm not familiar with that particular commentary.

I have added the maps and timeline to my wishlist.

Thanks,

Larry

If you don't have the IVP Essential collection, you should consider it. It includes an assortment of tools including dictionaries, commentaries, and a Bible atlas, which sounds just like what you're looking for.

If you didn't purchase the Anchor Bible Dictionary/Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary in your previous software, I would highly recommend it. It's still the standard starting point for intermediate or advanced research on most topics in biblical studies.

Edited by Matthew Burgess

Larry - The Expositor's we have is the $130 one - got in on sale a couple of years ago. However, we have been so happy with it that we've preordered the expanded/revised version, too.

Anchor has been a temptation for me as it comes so highly recommended, but I'm not an academic, just a Sunday school teacher and serious Bible student. If you preach or teach, I've heard from many on this list who, like Matthew, say it's a great resource to have. I haven't been able to justify that many dollars since I don't really do "research" - I'm not sure I'll live long enough to get to everything I already own!

Because we teach young people who know only English, having all the translations our students have is important. I have also found it personally helpful to have a bunch of them for my own benefit. You are right that versions fall "out of favor," but I agree that their current status does not negate their usefulness. I'm not one to follow the thundering herd, nor do I become enthralled with the latest "Christian fad" or "Christian celebrity." I just plug along reading and studying and chasing rabbits to try to find answers to the questions that arise. Some might think that boring - I really never get bored. Exhausted and frustrated, yes, but not bored.

When trying to decide whether or not to make a purchase, I not only check the reviews on the Accordance site, I'll also check the Amazon reviews, and the reviews at http://bestcommentaries.com. We are not all on the same page theologically, and the reviews can be very helpful.

You can be sure that there are a lot of folks on this site who do the same kind of studying as you do who will be very generous with their help and advice. They have certainly been an asset to me.

I find I use the Anchor Bible Dictionary, Tyndale commentaries and the NLT Study Bible frequently when preparing for my Sunday School class.

The IVP set is a good choice and a great value also.

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate all the suggestions.

Larry

Hi Larry,

I also have a few other bible software packages and try not to duplicate too much. I did take advantage of crossgrades available, namely Essential IVP Reference Library.

I have found duplicating some modern bible texts I have in other software useful because of Accordance's ability to display and compare various translations.

I have reviewed several of my favorite modules on this site, but my short list would be the Graphic Package, Tyndale or the Expositors for a complete multi volume commentary, New International Dictionary for OT Theology as well as the one for NT Theology. (they may have a less expensive abridged version) are both very useful for original language studies. For a single volume study bible, great to use with the iPad app is the ESV Study Bible.

Enjoy your journey.

Edited by jfidel