Stray word entering my analysis graph

Ken Simpson

Hi

I wanted to search for "comfort" (παρακαλεω)

Now if I do that in Greek, I get 109 exact hits, and the analysis looks like this

post-29509-0-62556300-1350899710_thumb.png

But, if I select the word (say in 2Cor 1:4 ESVS text) and Search=> by KEY,

I get 110 hits! (the key is G3870)

If i analysis graph that, I get this

post-29509-0-91624300-1350899888_thumb.png

and as you can see it has added in λογος to the graph!

Just a text analysis shows that one of the entries has two key numbers attached

post-29509-0-72790400-1350900147_thumb.png

Can a word have two key numbers? I tried to find the word in the ESVS (using [KEY G3870]@[KEY G3056]) but that found nothing.

So I think this might be a text bug, but I don't know how to find it!

Ken,

Try encouragement@ [KEY G3056]. It's Acts 20:2.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan,

it was a little more a question about KEY searching and why I am getting two results. I appreciate the reminder about how that element of the key searching works.

Still - why does one word seem to have two KEYs?

:blink:

Edit: I just figured out what you showed me! Sorry! You are absolutely correct and I should have thought out that way of doing it.

But as I asked - why does encouragement in Acts 20:2 seem to have two KEYs?

(I have reported this now via "Report a Correction" in the Help menu)

Further edit:

This is true in ALL my Strong's coded texts, but not in the NIV11-G/K

Final edit: This is because the phrase is "παρακαλέσας αὐτοὺς λόγῳ" in the GNT-T so both words ARE translated into the one word!

Panic averted, heart rate dropping. All is well with the world....(well not really)

Edited by Ken Simpson

If you compare the Greek text with the ESV translation, the reason is clearer. It's not a word-for-word translation, so two Greek words are absorbed into one English word in an attempt to translate the thought.

However, as I just realised, why does it turn up in the analysis graph when I analyse just a single KEY?

I should have checked my greek text before getting het-up about the coding....

Edited by Ken Simpson

Ken - I started at 2Cor 1:4 as you did, but in the NAS95, and got 105 hits with logos showing up just as it did in yours. This is why we all studied Greek. But it also doesn't bother me too much, because when a translation really tries to reflect every detail of the Greek, you end up with really clunky English - something like Darby (yes, I know it wasn't meant for public reading).

I came across this awhile back, and it made me laugh: Matt. 12:10 And behold, there was a man having his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath? that they might accuse him. (Darby)

Do you really think they were having a "hand-withering" service?

That sounds better than some of the services I have been to!! :wacko:

It shows up in analysis since the second key number is treated like a variant.

Hi Helen,

I get that, but it still seems inconsistent since my search was for the KEY not the English word...

Your search found the hit word, so you analyzed the hit words. It's akin to searching a grammatical text for NOUNs but then seeing gender information. The alternatives are to not include the word (wrong since it does have the desired key) or to not include that key in the analysis (wrong since it is information part of the hit word). Hope that makes sense! By the way, if you don't want the graph, just click on the label in the legend to 'x' it out.