Specific Hebrew Search

Keith S.

Let's say I want to scan for cognate accusatives (which I do). How can I specify that I want to see cases where a noun and a verb from the same lexical root occur within (say) 5 words of each other ? I've tried this both in the construct search as well as by defining grammatical information in the text-based search box.

A record of my failed attempts -

Construct search : For a noun and a verb of any same lexeme that occur within 5 words. See attached TIFF picture. Comes up with no matching results.

Grammatical information search : Well, I haven't yet figured out how to tell Accordance "any lexeme, as the two words come from the same lexeme". I know the wild card marker (*), but how to specify the match between the two occurences ? I want to find "dream a dream" and "strike a stroke" and " 'commit' unfaithfulness", etcetera, all at one stroke.

CognateOne.tiff

For version 7, which is yet in the future, we plan to add "roots" for Hebrew and Greek so that you can identify words that are derived from the same root but have different lexemes (lemmas). This feature is not yet available so you cannot do the search that you are requesting. Sorry :(

• 2 years later...

I have downloaded 7.3, and see that there are files marked "Hebrew roots" and "Greek roots." They are in a folder, but don't seem to be available as a tool or text in Accordance when I run it. I assume they will allow me to search for cognate accusatives. But when I click "agree" in my construct window, there is no choice for me to choose "root".

Check out this blog article: Cognate Accusa-whats?

However, I am not sure why you cannot choose agreement in Root. You should be able to do so, if you are searching a tagged text with the Greek or Hebrew construct window rather than the Simple construct.

Archived