Doing word study in Hebrew results in inaccurate results

Bryan Bowers

Hello,

I'm preparing a message in Amos 1 and I have BHS-W4 open alongside NKVS. If I right click on the English word and lookup in dictionary I get the correct results. However, if I right click on the Hebrew words and lookup in dictionary it gives me the wrong Hebrew word.

For example, in Amos 1:1 if I highlight over the Hebrew for words (דִּבְרֵ֣י) I get the correct definition in the instant results. However, if I right click on the word (in BHS-W4) and lookup in dictionary, I get the results for (דָּבַר) which is a completely different word.

The correct transliteration is davar (word or speech) but the dictionary is using the transliteration of dabar (to depart or destroy). Essentially, it is using the wrong vowel marking.

It seems that Accordance is passing the incorrect word to the dictionary lookup.

Thanks,

Bryan

When Accordance looks up an original word in a dictionary, it looks up the lemma and ignore the vowel points. This lets you simple click the mouse button to page down to the various possible definitions of this root. We have always felt this was the better option rather than us deciding for you. True, in Instant details you get a specific lemma and a basic gloss. The latter is often not appropriate in context, and even the lemma is a question of interpretation, so we let you choose.

If you have "Include reference when amplifying" checked in Preferences: General (or override it with the shift key), Accordance will search for the verse reference along with the lemma. This really helps in the big lexicons as it usually takes you right to the "correct" definition (according to the editors).