Finding "Every Place/Location" in the Bible

joelmadasu

Hello!

Can someone help me with this?

Is there a way to "search" for every "place/location" mentioned in the BIble? LIke Assyria in Gen. 2:14; Gen. 10:11 or Cush in Gen. 2:13., ets,...

Is it possible to do this search?

Please help!

Thank you

Joel

Joelm,

I am not sure if this is possible. I am not a scholar. So I often have to go the long way around. But here is a simple greek construct that returns all proper nouns. If you have a tagged original language text you could do this and then scroll though the analysis window to find place names.

Names of people and places are tagged as proper nouns so you can find them all this way. But since Accordance (or any program for that matter) can only search it's database for predetermined criteria I don't think there is a way to distinguish between names of people and names of places.

I hope this helps I know it still leaves a daunting task. Maybe someone who knows more can help.

post-29881-0-00098500-1352672663_thumb.png

You are correct. We do not have a database of semantics, except in the Louw & Nida lexicon. None of the Bibles are tagged with this kind of information, and therefore you cannot search on it.

• 4 weeks later...

I ran across something that may help.

post-29881-0-65384100-1354581384_thumb.png

I believe as of Dec of 2012 it is on sale for about $50.

I was going to suggest some sort of an atlas resource but wasn't sure which one. I had thought about the Sacred Bridge but the Omnasticon completely slipped my mind. Good call, Getinthebible! :-) That just might do what Joel needs it to. All the Carta stuff is on sale this month. There are sooo many cool things on sale this month, I feel like a kid in a candy store armed with a gold card. :o:D:lol::P

The Onomasticon is a good resource, but you will need to buy it.

There is also the NIV Place Name dictionary (from the NIV Compact Dictionary) (also a purchased resource)

And if you have the Atlas resource you will have the free Dictionary of PLace Names by David Lang.

Edited by Ken Simpson

Thank you all for your input and help! I will look into these resources! :)