search WITHIN search results?

Mark Parent

Iv'e been trying to find out how to search only from within my search results after having performed a general tool search. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mark

It sounds as if you are attempting to search a tool, then search within the results of the initial search. Is this right? An example would help.

Sure, thanks for the reply. If I tripple click a Greek word from out of a text, my default lexicon opens to the word I'm looking for, so that's normal behavior. Now I want to search just that search hit for english content like "gen" etc. So I tried "show text as article etc" and type "gen" in the search field, but it takes me to the preface page of the lexicon.

Hi Mark,

this is a really good question. Here's a couple of ways (with different results).

If you triple-click the word in the Greek text, you are right - it will open the lexicon in a new zone.

There are two ways forward from here.

The first (and I think easiest) is to add a search term. As you can see in the screenshot here, BDAG has opened to the word γενεσις. I then click the "add search term" button to the right of the search field (green arrow), change the drop down menu item at the left of the new search field to be English content (or whatever else I want) (blue arrow). Type in my string and I get 6 results (purple arrow) and you can see the term "gen" then hilit below (also purple arrow).

post-29509-0-29313600-1352859781_thumb.png

That may do what you want, but another way. If you just want to search within the entry, do this:

After triple clicking open the tool browser (red arrow) and you will see all the table of contents of the tool. Find the entry you are looking at (it will be highlighted). (right green arrow of the two)

Option-click on that, and you will see a red bar appear next to the entry (left green arrow of the two). This means further searches will be constrained to this article.

Remove your other search terms and make 1. the text you want. (blue arrow) (the removal part is probably superfluous - at least add your new search term).

The results reflect just the search in the red-barred article. OPTION-SHIFT-CLICK will allow you to select more than one item in the browser for a more complex search).

post-29509-0-75576200-1352859776_thumb.png

Hope that's of use.

OK. That's helpful, as examples most of time are. Ken does you well. You might want to also chime in to today's Podcast. It addresses this very issue/query.

Edited by James Tucker