9.6.6 crashes every time

AndyBarlow

I posted yesterday b/c 9.6 was crashing every time within 10 seconds. So I downloaded 9.6.6 and it fixed the problem. Today, however, it started doing the same thing. Any thoughts?

Hi Andy,

I always have a 3 step process I gop through when these sorts of things happen.

1. restart

2. reinstall (you've done this)

3. recreate preferences files. (instructions below)

and sometimes

4. reinstall fonts. They are a pesky thing! The fonts you can trash and reinstall using Font Fixer from the downloads page of the support area on the website are Helena, Rosetta, Yehudit. There are more, but these are the common ones likely to give you problems. You can get Font Book to do a consistency check on your fonts too. That can point out problems. You will generally find the in the ~/Library folder (See below)

To recreate preferences, just drag the "Accordance Preferences" folder onto your desktop. This folder can usually be found in Macintosh HD/Users/{your user name]/Library/Preferences/ It's a folder there, and the easiest way to get there is to option click the Go menu in the Finder (hold the option key down, and select Library in that menu, as it is hidden in Lion and Mountain Lion. Then you will see the Preferences folder - have a look in there.

If it's not there, then double click on your hard disk icon (Usually called Macintosh HD unless you have changed it), open the Library folder you will see there, and then Preferences in that. Again, if that's where the Accordance Preferences folder is, then drag it on to your desktop.

I suggest you do this rather than just trash your preferences because if it makes no difference to the crash behaviour, then you haven't lost all your preferences that you set up previously.

You will have to revalidate your Accordance install if you do this.

Let us know how you go.

Can you reply with your Machine type, OS you are running, and how much memory you have if you need more assistance?

Thanks

Edited by Ken Simpson

Ken,

I dragged the Accordance Preference file onto my desktop and opened Accordance. I was immediately prompted to reinstall Accordance. At the time I thought this is what I was supposed to do, but now I think I've made a big mistake. The install set me back to 9.4.3, I lost all my user notes, etc.

When I tried to check for updates, Accordance crashed. It does it every time I check for updates.

OK - the good news is that you shouldn't actually have lost anything, but it's a bigger deal to work out what's going on for you.

Here's what I'd do. Trash the newly created preferences and put the old ones back, then call our tech support line in business hours if you can. They will be able to get you properly set up.

Sorry for the misstep, I hope it hasn't caused you too many heartaches.

Can I ask - Machine, OS, Memory?

Ta

Ken

Thanks for your help. The fault is surely all mine for any mishaps. I'm technically challenged!

Here are the specs:

2010 Mac Book Pro

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Thanks again for your help.

Andy

Hi Andy,

sorry I can't help more here, but I think someone needs to talk it though/screenshare it with you to work out the issue.

We have been too busy at the annual ETS/AAR/SBL meetings, and we left a skeleton crew at the office. Please email me and suggest a time and means for us to talk and sort through your problems.