Search All Dictionaries vs. Search a specific Dictionary

Paul Daunno

If I search in a particular dictionary such as Eerdmann's for a word such as "Ark", I can only look for entries. In this example it finds 2 hits. I have a Dictionary group "My Dictionaries" in which I've put all of the Dictionary modules I own (7 of them). When I do a search all of that group for "Ark" it gives me the Entries, Titles, Content, etc. Is there any way to limit the results to only show Entries? I'm trying to make more use of Dictionaries in my personal study and it would be helpful to have this capability.

Paul, there's no way to keep the Search All from searching all fields, but if you sort the results by Importance, all the Entry/Titles fields should appear at the top of the list.

I approach this a bit differently than what was suggested in the Blog and on BSR. Rather than a search all using a "my group" set, I actually create a Favorite Dictionaries workspace and then amplify to it. What this will do is open the saved workspace and search each resource in that workspace. When I do this, unless there is not an entry in the resource, it will default to searching for entries.

To create a workspace, open a new workspace and using the library open your dictionaries you want in it. You do not need to link anything. Then at the bottom of the library click on the plus and save the workspace.

Then select a word and amplify to the workspace. I have a workspace icon on my toolbar.

Attached are a few screenshots.

I hope this is clear, but if not, post back.

post-1391-0-86366000-1354726839_thumb.png

post-1391-0-85740600-1354726851_thumb.png

Also, if you like this for dictionaries, it works great for commentaries, grammars, lexicons, Manuscripts, Syntax etc. I have a 15" MBP and to be able to get to all these resources in a separate full screen workspace is really useful. Please note that if you have a resource in your workspace that does not have a hit it will still show on a tab, but will either be blank or have your last search information in it. I use this for favorites, not all resources of a specific type and prefer it to linking in that it allows you to move around the resource without impacting all the other workspaces. It is a great alternative to the search all and linking features.

David, thank you for the confirmation.

John, thank you for reminding me of that technique. I actually had a dictionary workspace set up that I forgot about. That works well and as you mentioned also for other things such as commentaries, etc.