What is the Source of the Acc Forum Word Processor Menus?

Enoch

This is the only forum I know of that has the menus above the text window wherein one can choose fonts & colors (& much etc.) for posting on this forum. BTW, is there an explanation somewhere for the icons on these menus, what each one does (like the x squared sign)? May I ask if this is home-grown or is this obtainable by anyone who wishes to employ it on one's own forum?

Thanks for the quick answer, Joel. Am I correct that this invision system is incapable of putting Greek & Hebrew in the font pull down menu (as Accordance does not have this) -- but it is a feature of the system that one can paste Greek & Hebrew generated on some other word processor?

Right. They are a set of standard fonts that the forums software knows how to match on a variety of systems. Because there is no standard Greek or Hebrew font across different platforms, they can't include one in the forums.

What you can do is use Unicode to display any language of your choice, including greek and Hebrew. Accordance can easily export to Unicode, and many other word processors can use unicode instead of a greek or hebrew font, as well.

So I guess you are saying that the Greeks of Greece have no forums, and there is some reason why you can't just have a pull down menu that includes Greek & Hebrew like you can with your word processor that you use off line.

What do you mean by "platforms"? I think by referring to Unicode, you are referring to manually putting codes on the page, a very laborious and time consuming process as opposed to selecting a font & typing away.

And I suppose that you have checked out the invision "language packs" and that they don't enable the pull down font menu to have Greek and Hebrew.

And BTW, is there an explantion somewhere of what all the icons do on this forum's word processor tool bars, like the x squared icon?

When you post something, the user must have the font installed on his or her computer to view the font. Because you can't make an assumption about what fonts a user has, they only include standard fonts.

Even though unicode is technically a series of codes (as ASCII is as well, for the record), it is easy to type using a Unicode keyboard or character entry. If you change your Mac's keyboard (System Preferences -> Language & Text -> Input Sources) to a unicode keyboard in Greek, Hebrew, or other you can use it to very easily enter text. For example, I'm using the Greek Polytonic keyboard to type this:

αβψδεφγηιξκλμνοπ

And have now switched back to an English keyboard. Using standard unicode keyboards makes it very easy to enter unicode.

The x squared button means making a text superscript. If you hover your cursor over the icon it will let you know. You can also click the 'Help' link at the very bottom of every forums page (or this link: Help) for general help in using the forums.

• Like 1

Well, I suppose that it really is not a binary matter of ease vs dis-ease, but ease rated on a scale, say 0-10. Yes, changing the Mac Keyboard twice every time you want to type Greek may well be easier than typing out code, but it is not ideal. The drop down menu font changer would be a convenience by comparison. I guess then using the inivision language packs do not address this issue? Or have you investigated them? I could see having a forum with a statement that you need these fonts to read the board's Greek and here is the link to the font.

Also, I can't think of any reason why the drop down font menu can't do the same thing that changing the Mac Keyboard does. Why can't the drop down menu give you unicode Greek when you select Greek at the menu?

Edited by Enoch

Thank you Joel for "You can also click the 'Help' link at the very bottom of every forums page". It must be a little frustrating for those who go to the trouble to add such helpful details and then someone like myself does not even spot it! However, I still have not discovered how to start a new topic! I wanted to do so the other day and here also so as not to interrupt Enoch's line of questions.

Kevin.

To start a new topic, go to the forum of your choice (you can scroll to them all if you click Accordance Forums to the top left of the Topic title). Once in a forum you may have a choice of subforums, but you also have a black Start New Topic button on the right, above the list of topics already in the forum.

The point is, you have to be in a specific forum to start a topic there, not in a topic, and not in a list of new topics.

• Like 1

I found a way to get the feature I want instead of using a drop down menu and instead of going to the language change icon on the top right of my Mac screen. By going to preferences, keyboard, keyboard shortcuts -- then removing command-space as activator of Spotlight & then ticking a box in the KEYBOARD & TEXT ENTER department, I was able to make command-space change the language of the keyboard (just that keyboard shortcut does it & very efficiently). συκσεσσ