Formatting when Copying Bible Verses

Samuel Carmack

I'm using the demo of Accordance 10 and have a question on copying Bible verses. I'm been playing around with the citation settings and can't quite get what I want. I use a very specific format for notes and I copy verses in with the reference at the end, which I can do, but also with the verse numbers in the text in superscript. There are two things I cannot find a way to do. First, is there any way to make the verse numbers superscript? Secondly, when I copy to Word and apply my standard formatting, the verse numbers still stay in the color they are in Accordance. Is there a way to adjust that?

Samuelc,

Welcome to Accordance. I think you will find it a wonderful program.

However, your questions are around one weak area of Accordance - exporting the text. You can not get the text out with the superscripts intact. Hopefully this will be fixed soon. In general, the best way for copying the text right now is to get the wonderful set of scripts from Joe Weaks. If you look through the forum you can find a link. They are the best way to export from Accordance right now, and they let you do it from within Word (or whatever program you are using.) It till will not give you superscripts, but it will give you much better format control.

In Christ,

Bret

I'm using the demo of Accordance 10 and have a question on copying Bible verses. I'm been playing around with the citation settings and can't quite get what I want. I use a very specific format for notes and I copy verses in with the reference at the end, which I can do, but also with the verse numbers in the text in superscript. There are two things I cannot find a way to do. First, is there any way to make the verse numbers superscript? Secondly, when I copy to Word and apply my standard formatting, the verse numbers still stay in the color they are in Accordance. Is there a way to adjust that?

Superscripts are not currently supported. If you use Copy as Citation, then paste in word, you should see a clipboard icon appear; clicking 'match destination formatting' should do just that, and hence remove the color format of the verses.

Yes, I've been using copy as citation. It seems to be the easiest to customize. Any chance superscripts might be supported in a future release with maybe more control on formatting? Don't mean to compare, but Logos lets you define formats to copy verses out in that's helpful. Something similar in Accordance would be useful for some of us.

Yes, we've had several requests, particularly by one patient user. :) We're still getting over the version 10 hump, but rest assured it is on the radar for a future update.

• Like 1

Yes, we've had several requests, particularly by one patient user. :) We're still getting over the version 10 hump, but rest assured it is on the radar for a future update.

:rolleyes:

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey Rick, just wondered how this is coming. No pressure, just looking for information. I really do appreciate how you have looked out for this subject. Thanks in advance, Rick.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

• 2 months later...

Sorry to see that this has not been addressed in 10.1.5. Maybe next time?

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

I regularly use "Copy As . . No Superscript" to get rid of the superscripts for translators notes and cross references. Though you don't get the Scripture reference, it does maintain the superscripts for verse numbers, and poetic formatting, if applicable. You'd have to add the reference, but everything else would be there, requiring no or minimal editing - decent workaround until the feature is added.

Edit: Superscripts are not maintained, but the smaller font size is. Sorry about that. I've been confused before. It will probably happen again.

Edited by Julie Falling

Sorry to see that this has not been addressed in 10.1.5. Maybe next time?

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Since there have been multiple threads by different people that you've chimed in for this similar request you may have forgotten, but we indicated that this would be addressed in 10.2.x.

Since there have been multiple threads by different people that you've chimed in for this similar request you may have forgotten, but we indicated that this would be addressed in 10.2.x.

Rick, I'm so sorry. I forgot about that thread. :rolleyes:

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Rick, I'm so sorry. I forgot about that thread. :rolleyes:

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

No need to apologize; thanks for your patience. :)

• 11 months later...

Maybe the answer is in another thread somewhere (sorry, not a regular here), but it's now 10.4.0 -- still not able to export superscripts? It's a real bummer. Thanks.

As of version 10.4.0 exporting citations with superscripts is supported. I just tested it on Mac and Win in Microsoft Word. On Mac be sure to check, Prefs > Export > Export all characters with Unicode format.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Two things:

1. When I Copy As No Superscript, the verse superscripts on the output side are not true superscripts but bold & raised large numbers... I assume this just the way it is, but if there is something I am doing wrong, please let me know.

2. The copied text is pasted into word at font size 16. When I highlight it and change it to 12, the line spacing going completely haywire. The only way to fix it is to "Clear Formatting"... but then this takes away the "superscript" verse numbering! In the Accordance Export Preferences I was able to change the Export font, but not the font size.

Thank you very much for your help.

Jim

Edited by jmskrk

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Two things:

1. When I Copy As No Superscript, the verse superscripts on the output side are not true superscripts but bold & raised large numbers... I assume this just the way it is, but if there is something I am doing wrong, please let me know.

2. The copied text is pasted into word at font size 16. When I highlight it and change it to 12, the line spacing going completely haywire. The only way to fix it is to "Clear Formatting"... but then this takes away the "superscript" verse numbering! In the Accordance Export Preferences I was able to change the Export font, but not the font size.

Thank you very much for your help.

Jim

It appears that this is just the way we're currently handling superscripts. As for the size, I was able to reduce the display font size (cmd/ctrl +/-) and have it paste into Word at size 12 for the main text.

It appears that this is just the way we're currently handling superscripts. As for the size, I was able to reduce the display font size (cmd/ctrl +/-) and have it paste into Word at size 12 for the main text.

Thanks this is helpful and an improvement!