Search for content vs. Entry in BDB

Mark Nigro

Was wondering why I was getting BDB in a new tab for only certain words even though I had the recycle on. I think I have figured it out, but want to check here with Accordance. Is it the case that if a word is not found 'as is' under an entry, Accordance will open another tab and search for it as Hebrew content, while if it is an entry it will recycle the tab? Most of the words I searched were recycled, but a few, such as יוֹעֵץ֙

were not. I noticed this particular word was found in the body of the definition under

יָעַץ

and suspected this might be the reason. So rather than automatically switching the search field to "content," it creates a new tab. If this is the case, it makes sense but I just wanted to understand if that is what was happening.

Edited by Mark Nigro

Yes, it does. In the case of יועץ, the matres marks the /o/ class vowel, which should give you the means to understand why it's listed in the article with the plene orthography.

Thanks, James. Yes, the reasoning behind listing it in the body was clear. Just wondered about the search route, and if it would take you to the entry for יָעַץ straightaway, but it makes sense the way it functions. Definitely would be a hassle if Accordance switched the search field automatically so you have to set it back for "entry." Having two tabs open is ok, I see that Acc switches between them as needed, one for entries and one for content. Works for me.

I've not done an extensive analysis, and am not privy to when this feature was implemented. It may only be for occurrences where matres are in the inflected form, and not in the lexical; I am not sure.

I believe the general principle is that Recycling has to match - the type of window (search/tool/search all, etc), the module (NIV/KJV/ESV/Anchor, etc), and then the specific aspects of the tool (which field, words/verses, others perhaps). So, since I believe the field has to match, thats why your BDB Hebrew Content didn't recycle to the BDB Entry tab you had open.