Timeline missing individuals

Manfred

Hi there.

I'm new to the timeline module. Maybe I missed something but all the individuals from Adam to Terah's father are not included. There were a lot of important and interessting individuals like Noah, Sem, Melchisedek, Enoch which are not listed.

Why are they not included?

Is there a way to edit the Timeline module?

Best regards,

Manfred

Manfred,

You can add other events or individuals by going to the Edit User Item option on the second list box menu on the far left-top of the timeline module. I also have regretted Adam and forward till Terah being omitted. At one point I tried to add them all manually, but I never had success getting them to show up by default after I added them whenever I started the timeline. Could someone explain how to get User Items to show up by default when the timeline is opened? Thanks!

You can add other events or individuals by going to the Edit User Item option on the second list box menu on the far left-top of the timeline module. I also have regretted Adam and forward till Terah being omitted.

Ahh, thanks.

There is a big discrepancy for Noah to Abraham between LXX and masoretes texts. Maybe that's why they do not have included Noah to Abraham. Just a guess.

Best regards,

Manfred

That may be the reason, although I suppose they could use the MT as the basis of the "conservative" dating and the LXX as the basis for the "critical" dating, or some other dating system, or leave them off critical dating.

Yes you are right.

I noticed, there is a big difference between conservative and critical already for Abraham's birth. That is 2165 for conservative and 1853 for critical.

What are the sources for conservative and critical?

Best regards,

Manfred

Edited by Manfred

Maybe they left it out because placing Adam on the timeline would start a firestorm of emails / posts about his position on the timeline? Just wondering... where would you place him? ;) I think Oaktree made the right call by leaving them out.

Jeremy

I say you just take the years stated in the Genesis account (MT) and add them up. Surely putting Nahor on the timeline wouldn't be difficult, and then backtracking from him to Adam is just a matter of simple arithmetic. If Oak Tree wanted to accomodate those who reject a historical view of Genesis 1-3 (or 1-11), they could do that in the critical version of the timeline, or leave Adam's beginning fuzzy like they do on other people of which we are uncertain of their precise birth/death dates.

Overall, I love the timeline module, and I can add in the people from Gen 1-11 pretty easily myself. My question still remains, how can I get them to show up by default when I open the timeline? I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Overall, I love the timeline module, and I can add in the people from Gen 1-11 pretty easily myself. My question still remains, how can I get them to show up by default when I open the timeline? I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Sorry, have no correct answer to your question but you can create a new custom list and add all events, individuals, and all other stuff that you need to it. If you then display this list only, all you need should be there.

This would be a workaround to your question.

I have another question:

Is it possible to set the beginning of the timeline to less than -3000?

Best regards,

Manfred

We decided to limit the Timeline to events which can be dated archaelologically/historically, which is why the earliest date is 3000 BC. Pre-Abrahamic people and events can be dated only by the geneologies in Genesis, and many scholars would not take these as an accurate method of dating.

Therefore, even the Conservative system of dating we use is limited to Abraham and later. Those who want a literal interpretation of the dates of Genesis will have to look elsewhere.

We decided to limit the Timeline to events which can be dated archaelologically/historically, which is why the earliest date is 3000 BC. Pre-Abrahamic people and events can be dated only by the geneologies in Genesis, and many scholars would not take these as an accurate method of dating.

I understand that you only want to include such events that can be archaelologically/historically dated. But limiting the timeline (earliest date) for the user is another thing. If many schoolars would take this as an accurate method of dating or not is up to them. This must not be an issue for limiting the earliest date in the timeline. Altering the earliest date or letting the user set the earliest date should not be very difficult. I would appreciate if this could be integrated into the timeline module.

Therefore, even the Conservative system of dating we use is limited to Abraham and later. Those who want a literal interpretation of the dates of Genesis will have to look elsewhere.

Well, you must not interpred it for me. But it would be nice if I would have the chance to insert events that I want to insert, before 3000 BC, too.

Regards,

Manfred

We who believe Genesis is historical/true can also insert the people/events as user items. Is there a way to make them show up by default like all the standard items show up when the timeline is opened?

Well, you must not interpred it for me. But it would be nice if I would have the chance to insert events that I want to insert, before 3000 BC, too.

Sorry, I meant, you need not to interpred it.

My english is not the best. :)

Best regards,

Manfred

It would require some programming to enable dates earlier than 3000.

Any user items can be added to any Custom list which can then be displayed as the default. If this is to display all items, you need to create a custom list which includes all the predefined items and all your user items, but you will need to update it anytime you create more user items. It is easily created by clicking All above each item list.

There is a default Custom list and Item layer which displays all user items which allows you quickly to see each item you have added, and automatically updates with new items.

Thanks! That's what I was needing!

It would require some programming to enable dates earlier than 3000.

I guessed something like this. Is it a big efford to change this? Do you have to change the timeline module or the Accordance app itself? If in Accordance app you could change it and bring it in an update.

Best regards,

Manfred

Sorry, Helen, if my postings must have seen a bit rude. This mainly is because english is not my native language.

But to be honest, with the limit to 3000 BC I am not very happy.

And sorry, I have to ask again.

Do you see a chance that this can be changed by the developers/programmers in a not very far future?

Best regards,

Manfred

I note that the timeline actually goes up to 3020 AD, which is great if you have a very accurate prophetic gifting. Why not take the last 1000 years (from 2020 to 3020) and jiggle them internally, putting them at the beginning?

Surely it would be a lot easier to redifine the current 6000 year span than it would be to add a thousand years at the beginning.

This could be a satisfactory practical workaround, but it depends on how many thousands of years Manfred needs prior to 3000BC.

HTH

I note that the timeline actually goes up to 3020 AD, which is great if you have a very accurate prophetic gifting. Why not take the last 1000 years (from 2020 to 3020) and jiggle them internally, putting them at the beginning?

I think I didn't understand. :D

This could be a satisfactory practical workaround, but it depends on how many thousands of years Manfred needs prior to 3000BC.

Well. I think for a bible study tool or with the timeline module of a bible study tool it should be possible to map Adam (maybe plus -1000 years) at the least. All the generations to go back to Adam are listed in the bible to do so. If they are to be taken literally or not should not be the question.

Best regards,

Manfred

Manfred,

My suggestion to "internally jiggle" the timeline is meant for the software developers, not for users!

Also, after further investigation, I have discovered the timeline goes up to 15,000 AD.

Not only is this unnecessary, it is simply quite ridiculous! Extend the timeline backwards by all means, but do we really need 10,000 redundant years?

~A!

Edited by Alistair

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to compliment Oaktree for their rapid response to this thread in 7.0.3. Impressive...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, indeed, impressive that fast response.

Can you tell me what's the reason for the timeperiod from 4000 BC to 2000 AD?

Best regards,

Manfred

• Like 1

We extended it backwards from 3000 to 4000 to allow space for those who wanted to add user items of the patriarchs according to a literal interpretation of Genesis.

We cut off the future as some people complained about it extending automatically for millenia. We thought that 2000 was a reasonable cutoff for items related to Biblical studies. I am sorry if you planned to use it to enter future events.

We extended it backwards from 3000 to 4000 to allow space for those who wanted to add user items of the patriarchs according to a literal interpretation of Genesis.

I'm sorry Helen to begin again but either you made a wrong calculation or I did.

If I take Abraham who I think comes inserted in the Timeline module already and calculate back with Gen 11:10-29 and Gen 5:1-32 I get to 4174 BC (it's possible I made a mistake in calculation, maybe someone can check this?) and this only covers MT not LXX which will go way beyond that due to the discrepancy in Gen 11:10-29.

Best regards,

Manfred

I am sorry if it does not satisfy you. We based it on the old chronology by Archbishop Usher who calculated the date of creation as 4004 BC. We really intended the Timeline to be used for dates that can be assigned in history, any "dates" before Abraham are very uncertain to most scholars.

Even if you can't put in Adam's birthday (would you call it that?), you can still fit him on the timeline since his lifespan was so long. No major events would be missing going back to 4000.