More space on full screen mode

WillT

Many thanks for the iOS 1.6 - I like the new colo(u)r scheme and the Dropbox synching. Thanks for the ongoing work on this.

My request is for more space in full screen mode. Space is gained at the bottom of the screen when switching modes. I wonder, would it be possible to recover the space at the top and middle of the screen as well? i.e. my request is for hiding the text name at top of screen completely and for hiding the tab between main text and 2nd text - there is a lot of space that I would love to recover for full screen reading as it still feels a bit cramped on the iphone.

Otherwise it looks great!

Most of the visual design work done for v1.6 was really targeted at the iPad screen size. I agree that we need to go back and make some different choices for the iPhone screen size that better utilize the available space.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks Scott. Obviously other users will have their own no.1 requests for Accordance on iOS but for me it is better utilisation of screen space on the iPhone. This is what I was really hoping for with v1.6 so it's great to know you are working on it :)

Thank you! Even for the iPad those titles in the full screen mode could be removed. Really don't need that information as much as i need maximum possible screen real estate for the text itself. But I agree that while on my iPad it's not life or death issue, on iPhone it's coming very close to that.

This is how I imagine better look on the iPad.

Top margins of the main window and the tools window are not so tall, titles are placed in one row (actually those titles could be removed completely). Tools window's divider has fade-out effect at the top. User notes icons are moved to the left. Right margin could be reduced by a notch or two.

post-634-0-89436600-1356731989_thumb.png

Edited by Guntis
  • Like 1

One of the difficulties with going to a 1-line status display is searching. If you perform a word search, especially with other parameters like a range, it becomes quickly filled with additional items even on iPad (but absolutely so on iPhone).

We worked through all these items with the initial implementation, but agree (as Scott has alluded to) that after using them in real-life for some time now that we can tweak them, especially on iPhone.

This is great to hear! I've been hoping for a change to the iPhone reading view. Can I suggest that the reading view include only the text - no titles bars and no oversized divider bars for split screen (just a simple line). All this can reappear if one taps for them, but for reading view, please use all the screen space for the text :)

The free ESV app is a good example of switching between two views well. I also noticed their app uses the space for the time and battery at the top, while the current Accordance app leaves that space unused for reading view. Every bit counts!

Thanks again for the great app, and for considering our thoughts on the UI.

Fully agree! iPhone version should maximise text to full screen, with dividing line 1-2 px thick. Keep margins as narrow as they are now. We are coming close to the perfect layout! :-)

• 11 months later...

Many thanks Accordance team for the ios 1.7 update - I like the new look and features.

Just wanted to see, as per this thread, if you still had plans for more space in the full screen mode, as it would make quite a difference on an iphone when displaying a reference tool under the text.

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me whether changes to the reading mode are in the pipeline? The reading experience on the iPhone (I don't use iPad) is quite cluttered but I feel it need not be if a genuine full screen mode were implemented, i.e. remove from view both phone network data (which wasn't there in previous ios) and the module and reference headers. The current reading mode gains only about 1 line of text.

1.7.1 will revert to hiding the status bar info; that was an oversight. Other than that, we have yet to determine where in the roadmap more extensive changes for iPhone will come. The big priority right now is text selection.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Rick. Well I would love to request again a full screen mode that omits the module name and reference lines: in split screen mode this would free up 2+2 lines of reading space, which would make the use of parallel modules more effective on the iphone. In hope, Will

Thanks for the info Rick. Well I would love to request again a full screen mode that omits the module name and reference lines: in split screen mode this would free up 2+2 lines of reading space, which would make the use of parallel modules more effective on the iphone. In hope, Will

I second this! Is it too hard? ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

This would be nice to have: you cannot have too much screen space when reading on these devices, especially the iPhone!

Matt

• Like 1

I agree that hiding the module name and reference lines would be great -- and free up space. Now if we can get two-column display in "fullscreen" that would be ideal :-)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I love Accordance. I use it every day! Keep up the great work!

I have never used my iPhone in landscape with Accordance because it was always such a small screen to utilize it with. However, I recently picked up the iPhone 6 Plus, which I am really enjoying (I have very large hands! :)). It would be super handy if the next version of Accordance for iOS could eliminate the top bar in landscape. I'm going to try having my text and notes side by side for teaching Sunday School. Is there any way you can make that happen on a next update? Thanks!

Again, great work! Keep it going!

• 5 months later...

It would be super handy if the next version of Accordance for iOS could eliminate the top bar in landscape.  I'm going to try having my text and notes side by side for teaching Sunday School. 

Yes, I second this feature request. One tap and all toolbars are hidden, text fills the whole screen. (Both in portrait and landscape orientations.) Again one tap and toolbars are back for navigation. 

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that Accordance team thinks differently. Perhaps we could ask for two extra switches in the Accordance Mobile settings: 

1) Minimize toolbar area (one tap and the top toolbar is hidden, revealing extra space for the Bible or commentary text). I know what text it is, for me more important is to maximize screen real estate for the text, not info about the text.

2) Maximize text width (very narrow left-side and right-side margins).

This way those users who don't want these features, would live happily without them, but a few crazy ones would be satisfied with maximized text area.

Here are a few screenshots from the Bible Study app. One tap and all toolbars are gone! Perfect! I wish to have the same layout in Accordance Mobile.

post-634-0-98094400-1426886720_thumb.jpg

post-634-0-17781800-1426886732_thumb.jpg

We're very familiar with how other Bible apps work.