Creating a User Tool/Module for reading Calvin's Institutes in a year

David Garrison

I'm wondering if there's a relatively easy way to create a user tool or module (similar to the daily devotional readings modules) for reading Calvin's Institutes in a year. A schedule has been published by the Foundation for Reformed Theology (here: http://foundationrt.org/documents/Read%20Calvins%20Institutes%20in%20a%20Year.pdf). As I have the Institutes module, I was wondering if there was a way to create a tool for this, because, ultimately, I'm too lazy to look at the schedule and then open the institutes (yet would gladly waste hours trying to figure how to save myself time by creating a tool like this). Ideally, I'd like to be able to use this on my iPad.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

David

You would need to create a user tool with links to the relevant passages in the Institutes. e.g. [institutes, Entry, Chapter 1] I can get it to link to 'Chapter 1' however it does not recognise '1.1.1' for instance as an entry or content. Therefore this might not be possible. I tried putting double dots in but that did not work either.

To create the appropriate link, the link needs to be in the following format:

[institutes, Entry, 1 * 1 * 1]

The asterisks (*) are needed because Accordance sees periods in a search argument as something of a search term (indicates a request to search for the immediately following character).

Thanks Sean. I knew there was a problem with the periods just didn't think of a way to solve it. That makes sense.

I couldn't remember how to search for 1.1.1 in Institutes either. So I simply selected 1.1.1 and amplified via the library pane to Institutes and Accordance appropriately constructed the search.

Excellent. That's answered another of my questions. I tried to get accordance to construct the link for me but couldn't remember how. Of course using amplify would have given me the information I required to construct the search - must now try to remember that. :unsure: Thanks again.

Once you've run a search in any tool module, control+click in the search entry box and select Copy as User Tool Link from the contextual menu. Accordance will copy to the clipboard the correctly formatted link, ready to be pasted into your User Tool.

Thanks for the help with this, gentlemen. Steve got me started and I finished it up. Works very nicely, and I've learned how to take advantage of more of Accordance's features. I appreciate it!

Good that you've got it working now. Glad we could help. We could put the final tool on the accordance exchange if the Foundation for Reformed Theology are Ok with that. I will email them and see what their response is.

Hi guys, That would be fantastic! If you get a positive response, could you please PM me about this? The upload function on the exchange is broken at the moment, and so I am using workaround a until I figure out how to fix it. Keep me informed please :-)