Looking up verses in grammars

tebel

In older versions of Accordance I could select a reference in my Greek or Hebrew text and then click on my grammar of choice in Library window and it would take me to the place in the grammar where that text is discussed. I am not longer able to do that. I was wondering how others users now access their grammars, and if there was a quick way that is eluding me?

rari

It works fine for me (Accordance 10.1.2). After you select the reference, click the amplify button beside the grammar in the library window. Don't click on the grammar itself; that will just open it without searching for the reference.

Edited by JonathanHuber
  • Like 1

Thank you Jonathan. That helps. I wonder though if Accordance might not think of creating a grammar display which immediately displays grammatical information pertaining to any given text. For example if I am working on Psalm 45, all the places where Psalm 45 is mentioned in the grammars is given in another window. This way one can see at a glance all the grammatical references across the grammars without having to click separately on every verse. I know one can type in a Scripture reference in a particular grammar, but this becomes tedious when one wants to view several grammars at once.

rari

Although this is not instantaneous you can set up a workspace with all the relevant grammars in it then amplify to that workspace via the menu or context menu. You can do that for greek/hebrew word or verse.

• Like 1

Similarly, you can add all of your grammars (and others if you want!) to a User Group at the bottom of the Library, then do a Search All via the right click menu, Amplify, Search All toolbar field, or others.

• Like 1

Thank you Jonathan. That helps. I wonder though if Accordance might not think of creating a grammar display which immediately displays grammatical information pertaining to any given text. For example if I am working on Psalm 45, all the places where Psalm 45 is mentioned in the grammars is given in another window. This way one can see at a glance all the grammatical references across the grammars without having to click separately on every verse. I know one can type in a Scripture reference in a particular grammar, but this becomes tedious when one wants to view several grammars at once.

rari

So probably the amplify/search all options that have been suggested are the best (and only) way to do this, but I wonder if some sort of capability could be built in to display a grammar in the ID palatte. As of now, you can view morph details, lexical details (with the cmd key), translation notes that correspond to the translation, and the commentary at the top of the list (with the cmd key). I realize that all these resources are organized either alphabetically or by verse reference and thus fascilitate being displayed in the ID palette... but is there some way to make a grammar display in the ID palette? I imagine it would take some extra programing beyond what is currently in Accordance... but would this be feasible? I can certainly see the value in getting a quick look in Waltke-OConnor, for example, to see if there's something I need to investigate further.

Edit: so after I posted this I reread rari's post and realized I'm talking about something a bit different! :rolleyes:

Edited by RobM
  • Like 1