Highlighting options: Gk/Hb roots, parts of speech (key numbers, verbs, prepositions, adjectives, etc. in a different style)

jwoyak

1. What Logos calls "sympathetic highlighting" is the ability to highlight, say, all the verbs of a tagged text with red font, and all the prepositions with blue underlining, etc. This is extremely helpful for reading, especially in the original language texts. And I think it would be quite easy to write into the Accordance program. When looking for Bible software, I almost bought Logos instead of Accordance because it could do this and Accordance currently can't. But I didn't...

Another highlighting feature that would be extremely valuable (that Logos or any other program I'm aware of doesn't have), would be the ability to highlight all the occurrences of a certain word or root in one text (or in section of a particular text, e.g., a book or chapter) with a particular highlighting style. For instance, one of my mentors has a print Bible in which he has highlighted all the key Greek words of, say, Philippians in a different colors and styles. This has taken him years to do (and of course he's gained great knowledge just in the process of doing it), but if I could highlight, for example, every occurrence of koinonia, "fellowship" in Philippians in each of my Bibles in seconds, and then highlight various other words in a similar way, and then read through that text and notice them all together and how they relate, that would be incredibly helpful! Again, this seems like it would be so easy to write into the program to work for any tagged text.

• If this highlight feature were ever to make its way into accordance, another really helpful feature would be the ability to search any amount of text in such a way that the search results listed all the words (or roots) in that text in descending order (with the number of occurrences of each word next to the word or root). This would enable one to objectively notice what vocabulary is most prevalent in a particular book, or in a particular parable or chapter, or in all of Paul's letters, etc. From that, one could then decide on what words one would want to highlight in Philippians, or in all of Paul's letters, or in the Synoptics, etc.

All of this is currently possible! The sympathetic highlighting and your #2 request are easily possible with Highlight All Hits. What this means is that you can run any search, then Shift-click on a highlighting style, and every hit will be highlighted with the given style. So, just run a search for [NOUN], then shift-click a style to mark all NOUNs a particular style. Similarly to prepositions, or others. Just set up whatever styles you like, then run whatever searches you like, and shift-click the style.

Similarly, you can search for any lemma, root, or anything else and also shift-click the style to mark those, so you'd easily see that certain word anytime you came across it later.

Finally, to see all of the items in descending order, just run a word search for an asterisk (*) in the desired range. So, for instance I could list all of the lemmas in Matthew 7 by doing a search for:

* <AND> [RANGE Mat 7]

Once I see my results, click on the Analytics button to the left of the number of hits, and select analysis. You can customize this in lots of ways, check out the popup menus or the gear menu.

Hi,

there is also a nice example of the highlighting of parts of speech for grammatically tagged Hebrew and Greek texts on the Accordance Exchange in the Highlights area.

Download the Parts of Speech.sit file and then unstuff it using Stuffit Expander or The Unarchiver.

Place the .hlt file into <HOME>/Documents/Accordance Files/Highlights

when you next open the highlighting floater you can select the Parts of Speech highlights and if you are in a tagged text it will highlight the Parts of Speech. It is reasonably thorough, but not exhaustive.

Edited by Ken Simpson

The highlight styles are definitely nice, but not quite as extensible as what he is referring to. If I remember this correctly, he is referring to coloring the actual letters themselves (e.g. "red font"). This has been requested before.