EGW Writings

cstroeck

Hi,

I'm a new user of Accordance and was wondering if the Writings of Ellen G. White could be included in the Accordance platform.

Chris

• Like 1

Hi, I know it's only a subset, but we have "Conflict of the Ages" on the Accordance Exchange in the Tools section

"Conflict of Ages Series submitted by Sean Reed. The file contains five user tools which make up the Conflict of the Ages series, a set of five books by Ellen White (one of the founders of the Seventh-day Adventist Church). Public domain.

You can find it here. Search for "White" on the page. (or click the link above).

Edited by Ken Simpson

• 3 months later...

I also would be very happy, if Accordance will include the Writings of Ellen G. White to their Library, as they exist for Logos.

She wrote a lot of inspired books, which are a great help for everybody.

Thank you for your efforts

Timothy

I too would like to see them included in Accordance!

Randy

• 2 months later...

I also would like to see Ellen White's writings in Accordance. I am happy to see that Accordance now has the Andrews Study Bible. Had I known it was coming out on Accordance, eventually, I wouldn't have bought the Logos version last year. I would also like to see the SDA Bible Commentary which Logos happens to have, also.

The person you need guys to speak with about getting EGW on Accordance would be Darryl Thompson with the White Estate. Write to him: thompsond at whiteestate dot org. (Sorry for spelling it out but that helps avoid spambots harvesting the address.) The more requests White Estate gets, the sooner it may happen.

Randy

We are already in contact with SDA users who can negotiate for this text, but thanks for the info.

• 1 year later...

Hi ! I would like to combine Ellen White's writings with the Bible. I have them in my tools, but I can't combine them. Can somebody help me?

You can combine only Bible texts with Bible, and Commentaries of the same series together.

• 4 months later...

Is any progress being made on getting EGW Writings and SDA commentary for Accordance? That would be so awesome! I am curious if there is any headway being able to be made on this. Thanks

• 1 year later...

I would love to see EGW writings and SDA Bible Commentaries and other SDA writings in accordance.

We are working hard to get licenses and etexts for more SDA texts. It isn't easy! There is a bias against Accordance in certain quarters.

That's terrible to hear.  If there's someone we can write to politely voice our interest in getting Accordance supported, please let us know.

Thanks,

Randy

Given the "EGW Estate" have their own software (http://www.whiteestate.org/cdrom/cdrom.asp) I wonder if they wish to avoid competing with their own product (Especially if publishing through logos had some impact on that product).

I also can't help but wonder if there would be some King James Onlyism amongst those who manage the estate, which may create a negative attitude towards accordance? In my experience there is certainly inconsistency in SDA on the ground theology, I only wonder this, as I have encountered staunch KJV onlyism, which sometimes relaxed into an acceptance of NKJV. But I have also encountered SDA's who are more than comfortable with modern translations. Does anyone else know?

I would guess that's not a sticking point... most SDA's I know are happy with any translation. 

The main issues (as I understand from emails with the vice director of the white estate and their digital product manager) are costs for getting the raw texts into a format that accordance can handle.  White Estate is small, minimally funded, and minimally manned.  Getting projects like this done takes manpower and money.  Licensing arrangements are always complicated.  Additionally, the volume of material is simply enormous.  We're talking more than 100,000 pages (!).  I wonder how long it would take accordance to tag such a huge amount of text, and how expensive the resulting module would be...

Randy

• Like 1

This is true. But ultimately, wouldn't it be true that if the goal is that the material is to be preserved into the longer term future. It is going to need to get into an electronic format that can be easily transformed into not just the currently available forms of media (Accordance, Kindle, etc..), but also to those that will come along in the future that we don't yet know about. 

Perhaps the general conference needs to vote on a specially funded once off project that would allow moving everything onto a digital medium?