IVP Dictionary of Jesus and Gospels, Second Edition

Abram K-J

Someone was asking on another thread today about the IVP OT Dictionaries. IVP has announced a Second Edition of the Jesus and the Gospels dictionary, due in print this fall... I understand it takes a while sometimes for print editions to become available in Accordance, but I'm wondering if there are plans to offer this second edition?

IVP's description of it says, "Over ninety percent of the articles have been completely rewritten, and the rest thoroughly revised and updated." Based on posts I've seen in past forums from Accordance staff, I'm guessing owners of the first edition would not receive an upgrade discount to the second edition? (I think I saw a post using the analogy that a print owner would not upgrade editions for any kind of discount--they'd have to go out and buy the second edition at regular price if they wanted it.)

Publishers tend to delay electronic distribution until after the print edition is released. So, it's a little early to know details on this. Generally speaking I don't see any reason why we won't get it eventually.

• Like 2

Great! In some ways, I'm glad for the delay, since I can still have the most up-to-date version of that dictionary, which I just finally bought in Accordance. :)

• 5 months later...

I wanted to bump this since Joel Green said on Facebook the print version is out. Wonder if there's any new news?

Regent University bookstore has informed all the faculty that this book would not be available to students until mid-October (They are out-of-stock on the original one). I'm guessing there is a difference between "available in print" and the volume actually making its way through the various distribution channels. My students are golden though, as I encouraged them to buy the IVP Essential Reference Set in Accordance—and we NEVER run out of copies! ;-)

I just checked Amazon. They have the publication date listed as Oct. 27, 2013. The page says it has not yet been released, but is available for pre-order in print. No Kindle version has even been announced.

Edited by Timothy Jenney

Sorry, he said the ebook was out. IVP is selling it as a PDF.

My bad.

Still, is this going to be a new book for purchase or will there be an upgrade option? I think I'm torn between wanting an upgrade (for money's sake) and wanting to have both books in my library.

Well, I have the original EBC, and Accordance gave us a discount on the EBC-R. The EBC-R did not overwrite the EBC. So, if the publisher allows, we can get a discount and keep both.

I am allergic to PDF e-books. That format is my very last choice. However, I used Matthew's link to the IVP site. I noticed it says it is available on Kindle (though Amazon doesn't list it yet). I suspect the IVP statement is a bit prophetic—and that the book's arrival on Kindle is "immanent." ;) If so, I imagine they have an e-text that they will make available to Accordance, sooner or later.

As I mentioned above we will eventually get this. The details on pricing or whether there will be an upgrade option have not been worked out yet.

Sorry, "imminent," not immanent."

To be honest, we do not like to have to do new editions of current modules. It's usually the same amount of work as converting the first edition, everyone wants a cheap upgrade price, and we sell fewer. So please do not expect that this will be high on our list of priorities, as we have so much wonderful new materials in the pipeline.

• 6 months later...

To be honest, we do not like to have to do new editions of current modules. It's usually the same amount of work as converting the first edition, everyone wants a cheap upgrade price, and we sell fewer. So please do not expect that this will be high on our list of priorities, as we have so much wonderful new materials in the pipeline.

^^ I was thinking about adding some english content to my library because I gave up hoping for resources like EKK (Evangelisch-Katholischer Kommentar etc) will anytime (soon) be available for accordance etc.

And now im reading your last statement i´m a lil bit shocked. I hope i just didn't understand what you were saying. I don't want to offend anyone.

Am I getting this right: From a business point of view it doesn't pay out to upgrade existing package like the ivp essentials? So having the Jesus and Gospels 1edition is okay and upgrades don't have a high priority for reference titles/commentaries? This fact (that you can't really earn money with such a good bible tool like accordance) would make me sad.

I like accordance a lot and its the best on the market for the work i got to do at university but i won't like to invest in a "dead end" when it comes down to updating policy!?

I hope i just misunderstand that statement. And I really dun want to go with another software.. but lately things got exciting over there when I read that that software company is trying to push into foreign markets. They hired purchase personal (e.g. for german market) and they teased they want to really go into that market. they also got an ivp essential 3.0 package...

What should i go for now? Just staying at the status quo and going back to purchase print copies? Waiting for the GBS releasing the Studienbibel 3 in 2020 (there are actually no plans for a new release)..

I understand bible software is probably a very small market. And Accordance is probably too specialized for a specific user group..

does the rest really dun need more than a print copy of a bible or maybe an ereader?

Im just trying to understand and figuring out what is the best solution for my needs - where to go to get the latest available.

I hope no one feels attacked by this - its not meant that way.

Edited by JayDee
  • Like 1

We do update editions often, I just was making the point that it is not always our highest priority. For example, we were the first to release the NA28 with the apparatus (despite some loud noises elsewhere). We do offer upgrade prices when the publisher allows us to. Some publishers do not, and then we have a difficulty because many people do not want to pay over again for a new edition of a work they already own. Of course, in print you always have to buy the book again, if you want the new edition, but in software it does not seem fair to users. We make many decisions that we know we never pay off in sales, because we want to offer our users the best that we can.

No, we cannot always compete in volume, but we think we do excel in quality.

• Like 1

So what i am asking accordance will release newer editions on already released modules in a specific time frame (not sure how long it takes from etext to accordance module) after it's available from the publisher as an upgrade? (Not talking discount - I'm okay paying full for a new book / when there's discount I dun say no - still student without income but I do like discounts on software when I have ver9 to ver10) - but I want to have the newest available and sometimes I can't use anything than the latest because of papers... Nothing so old than a month old book on p or not p Pentateuch theorie... A lot going on here in the ot research.

The excel in quality is what i tried to point out what keeps me from changing to competitors. And we dun need to talk about customer service this is just amazing - nearly around the clock in minutes. Ty Helen.