Oxford Annotated Bible

Dan Langston old account

i notice a new edition was published in february.

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-new-oxford-annotated-bible-9780190276041?cc=us&lang=en

Typical nrsv style though, cross references are still not included!!! They are still in a Separate volume. ;o(

(Makes me really value the whole esv package more and more.)

Edited by ukfraser

• 3 months later...

Yes Fifth edition is out but still not a decent electronic version available. I know nothing that Accordance can do but I at this point don’t care how super OUP makes it, if I cannot get it in a decent electronic version I won’t buy it. OUP is only hurting themselves.

-dan

Edited by Daniel Francis
  • Like 1

Totally agree dan, have not bought versions two of jsb or jant in hard copy as version one in accordance meets my needs. Shame for authors and editors though....

Has to be really special these days for me to get something outside of accordance.

Edited by ukfraser

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information. Is in the Amazon basket.  :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

...The oxford bible commentary edited by barton and muddiman would also be worth considering if they have as it was the one i was recommended

Good news—the Oxford Bible Commentary is now available for Accordance!

What does the Oxford Bible Commentary add that is not in the NOAB?

What does the Oxford Bible Commentary add that is not in the NOAB?

A lot. The two have significantly different content. Here’s a brief example of the NOAB and OBC side by side.

Screen%20Shot%202019-03-27%20at%2011.27.

• Like 3

Also, would the Oxford Companion just be repeating information  already contained in the NOAB and Oxford Bible Commentary?

At the risk of getting my knuckles rapped for sharing too much I will give one more example pertinent to the screen shot shared above, as I noted elsewhere  there is bound to be overlapping themes and information but for the most part you are not getting any simple regurgitation in any of the 3 works even when the NOAB and OCB are done by the same author which happens in two of the minor prophets.

Noah. The son of Lamech, and the father of Shem, Ham, and Japheth (Gen. 5.28–32), Noah was the hero of the biblical *Flood narrative (Gen. 6.9–9.17) and the first vintner (Gen. 9.18–28). After observing the corruption of all creation, God determined to cleanse and purify the earth through a flood (Gen 6.1–7). Noah, however, found favor with God (Gen. 6.8–9), and he, together with his family and the seed of all living creatures, entered the *ark and survived the deluge. From them the earth was then repopulated (Gen. 10).

In many respects Noah was a second *Adam. The *genealogy of Genesis 5 makes his birth the first after the death of the progenitor of humanity. Like Adam, all people are his descendants. God’s first command to the primordial pair to “be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the earth” (Gen. 1.28) is echoed in God’s first command to Noah and his sons after the Flood (Gen. 9.1).
Other biblical figures in turn look back to Noah and are compared to him. *Moses also had to endure a water ordeal (Exod. 2.1–10); in fact, the only other time that the Hebrew word for ark (tēbâ) is used in the Bible is for the basket in which Moses was saved (Exod. 2.3, 5). In Christian tradition, Noah is viewed as a precursor of Jesus (Luke 17.26–27), and the waters of the Flood are compared to the waters of *baptism (1 Pet. 3.18–22).
Noah has traditionally been viewed as an exemplary righteous person (Ezek. 14.14, 20; Heb. 11.7; 2 Pet. 2.5; and extensive postbiblical Jewish, Christian, and Muslim literature). However, the phrase “righteous in his generation” (Gen. 6.9) has also been interpreted to mean that at any other time Noah’s righteousness would not have been viewed as extraordinary (b. Sanh. 108a).
The legend of a hero who survives an inundation to repopulate the earth is one found in many cultures. Most closely related to the biblical account are the stories from ancient Mesopotamia. In the Sumerian flood story, the pious king Ziusudra survives two to three attempts, including a flood, to destroy humanity. After his ordeal, he offers a sacrifice to the gods, repopulates the earth, is granted immortality and sent to live in paradisiacal Dilmun. The eleventh tablet of the *Gilgamesh Epic relates the story of Gilgamesh’s ancestor Utnapishtim, who survived the flood to gain immortality through a capricious act of the god Ea/Enki. Many of the images and details of the story parallel the biblical account. Contextually closest to the biblical story is the Atrahasis Epic, which places the flood story in the context of a primeval history. In this version Atrahasis, the “exceedingly wise one” (also an epithet of Utnapishtim), survives three attempts to destroy humanity, the last of which is a flood. The great noise of humanity and the earth’s overpopulation are given as reasons for the god Enlil’s wish to bring destruction. After the flood, a divine compromise is reached on ways to limit the earth’s population, an idea specifically rejected in the biblical account (Gen. 9.1).
See also Ham/Canaan, Cursing of.
CARL S. EHRLICH

The Oxford Companion to the Bible, s.v. “Noah,” 557-558.
  • Like 1

Regarding the Oxford Bible COMMENTARY... The Accordance site lists the copyright as 2001. The OUP site lists the new edition as 2013. Is the one being offered the old or new edition? Thanks.

What we were given by the publishers: 

First published 2001

First published in paperback 2007

• Like 1

mgvh, I've seen a new Edition being sold as printed matter, from that time, it's in fact content-wise identical to the 2001, it was just a split into multiple paperback volumes for lowered printing costs. The original hardcover Edition is huge. There are no updates, revisions or additions, not even in bibliographies or Bible text used. Even so the work is not outdated at all. The only change is the cover art:

Regarding the Oxford Bible COMMENTARY... The Accordance site lists the copyright as 2001. The OUP site lists the new edition as 2013. Is the one being offered the old or new edition? Thanks.

• Like 3