SSDs

Julia Falling

Hey - I know a bunch of you own Airs and Retina MBPs. How full can you fill the SSDs without running into problems? More than the ~80% max we have on platter drives?

Hi Julie.

SSD's use the same filing system as HDD's - HFS plus. The 80% recommendation is a feature/limitation of the the filesystem not the drive itself.

Having said that, many SSD's use self-optimising routines that make storage more efficient, but this (in most cases) should be transparent to the user.

I think you can reasonably happily approach 90% full on most drives. The issue with that is there is no room to grow.

Any engineers out there have a different viewpoint?

Thanks, Ken. We've experienced overly full drives around here and the experiences were not pleasant! At that point we either replace the drive or put some stuff on an external drive. From what you've said, it looks like I'll need the same size SSD as I would SATA when my 2008 MBP is replaced. I'm hoping to do that sometime this year, but not until the refresh (WWDC?). I may wait until the refurbs start showing up on the Apple Store.

Yep. That's right Julie. The cost of ssd's Is plummeting, but a 512g is still a reasonably expensive proposition.

And I'd probably get the 750. It's what I have now. I have considerable growing room, but we typically keep out laptops & desktops for 5-6 years. I hope the price of the SSDs plummet a bunch more before the new machines are released. Perhaps something new and revolutionary will come out of Anobit, Apple's fairly recent Israeli acquisition.

Sure. Whatever your budget can stand I guess. Or you could be razor sharp and cut a lot of fluff we all keep on our HDD that we don't really need to. ^_^

Ken — The $400 to go from the standard 512G SSD to the 768G really is too steep for me. I can easily get by with the 512. If it gets cramped, it's time to pull some of the bulky stuff out of iTunes and put it on an external SATA. I've even thought about going to a 13" machine, but wonder if I'd regret its lack of real estate. I'd have to learn to use Accordance differently. It's the only app where I have really wanted the larger screen. I don't need all the power of the 15" machine.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens at WWDC.