Novum Testamentum Journals

eric in redding

I just bought the collection of theological journals that was on sale a couple of weeks ago. Great resource! It makes me hungry for more! Is Accordance working on adding more publications to the Theological Journal Library? I would love to see Novum Testamentum added!

Thanks

The TJL is prepared by Galaxie Software, and yes, we are due to update it by adding more years of journals, but the choice of journals is theirs.

We ourselves have added the Biblical Archaeology Review (also due to be updated), and the JBL from SBL. Our journals are listed here.

These journals are probably the most difficult kind of module that we have to prepare: massive amounts of material, varied electronic formats over the years, and multiple authors who usually do not exactly follow the journal guidelines (which changed over the years). To display all the text and images correctly, and accurately assign the transliteration, Biblical references, other cross references, and footnotes to their fields (layers), can be extraordinarily difficult.

Thanks for the reply! I just contacted Galaxy and they claim that Novum Testamentum is not interested in jumping on board with them. I will see if I can get a hold of someone at Novum Testamentum.

I don't see why a critical journal would want to join together with a theological journal group. The two areas are different in many respects. Besides, Brill has done well in their own digitization of Novum Testamentum. Accordance would need to approach Brill and work out a deal.

Edited by J. T.

I don't see why a critical journal would want to join together with a theological journal group. The two areas are different in many respects. Besides, Brill has done well in their own digitization of Novum Testamentum. Accordance would need to approach Brill and work out a deal.

My initial reaction was similar. I would be surprised to see Novum Testamentum included in Galaxie's collection, since their website describes their offerings as "conservative, evangelical journals," and Novum Testamentum is neither.

I suspect that the market for modules containing mainline journals will remain soft, in light of Helen's comments regarding the difficulties surrounding their preparation (which can limit initial production and periodic updates, as well as increase production costs and retail prices) and the fact that many of the potential users of such modules are students and scholars with extensive online access to journals through their academic institutions. Although the additional search capabilities would be welcome, I can't really justify purchasing a module dedicated to the Journal of Biblical Literature when my affiliations with SBL and UVA provide me with full access to it.