magnifying, zones, and screen size

A. Smith

I haven't been on the forum for quite a while and this may be addressed elsewhere already. First, I run the latest version of Accordance 10. I'm continually switching between a large external monitor and my 13" laptop. I regularly get errors after magnifying a zone on my laptop that I can't minimize the zone again without resizing the window. Of course, that's very difficult to do when you can't get to any of the zones because of the magnification. I can stretch the window larger than the screen and that will usually work, although sometimes the window will automatically resize to my monitor anyway.

My frustration is twofold. First, why is accordance worried about how large or small a zone is. If I want it illegibly small, then that's my problem. It seems that allowing the user freedom in this would help alleviate a lot of aggravation. Second, If the screen/zone is too small to allow for exiting magnification, why does accordance allow me to magnify in the first place? I tend to get caught in this loop of not being able to exit magnification because the zone is too small and not being able to resize the zone because of the magnification. So, on the one hand Accordance is looking out for me and preventing me from making the zone too small. But, on the other hand, it allows me to magnify the zone even while it is impossible to exit magnification at the current zone size. I've got too much freedom on the one and and not enough on the other. I'm saying that it would be simpler for me (and I hope others) if accordance went one way or the other: Allow me to magnify, exit and resize regardless of the zone size, or prevent me from doing these things consistently if the zone is unsuitably sized.

I hope this makes some sense. Maybe there's a work around I haven't found. Thanks.

Hi, Anthony!

I have run into this issue too, so it is not just you. I agree it is frustrating. Accordance's multiple zones are wonderful, but they take up considerably more space than tabs do.

My issues usually occur when I have my 17" MBP display to 1200x800 (which is podcast size). I can correct my problem when I switch the display size back to native (1900x1200). Any chance you can do the same—or are you already running at maximum resolution?

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't considered resolution. Unfortunately, 1200x800 is the best my macbook will do.

Anthony, can you attach the session you are using? Generally, if you have a good session, magnify a zone, and then unmagnify it, it shouldn't cause any issues. Now, if you, within the magnified session, open lots of extra stuff, that may not fit. But simply opening and closing shouldn't be a problem.

By the way, you can also type Command-Option-[ and Command-Option-] to cycle through your zones, even while magnified.

Joel, to be clear, I don't have a problem with magnification until I go to the smaller MB monitor. I spend most of my time on the larger external monitor and the session is set up for that larger display. It works fine on the smaller display generally until I try to magnify and then exit magnification of one of the smaller zones. I do use a lot of zones (or maybe not, I guess I'm not sure).

OK, I tried to upload the session and the forum says I'm not allowed. So, here's a screen shot.

post-29320-0-30396800-1369967968_thumb.png

Well, this is the way it always works. Now I'm not able to reproduce the problem! Thankfully, Dr J has encountered it and perhaps he can share some more specifics with you and provide you with his specific session.