Chamberlain's Greek of the Septuagint: A Supplemental Lexicon

Abram K-J

Would love to see The Greek of the Septuagint: A Supplemental Lexicon (Gary Alan Chamberlain, Hendrickson, 2011).

I can elaborate on why (feel free to ask!), but in a world with few LXX lexicons, this one (which supplements BDAG) would be great to have electronically.

• Like 1

I don't know the book, but I like the idea.

I'm sorry, but the pedant in me is overwhelming... The plural of lexicon is lexica... Ahhhh. Internal pressure subsiding. Sorry Abram :-)

Edited by Ken Simpson

Perhaps we share something of the pedant :) But curiosity about words is a good thing I think. So I looked in my Macquarie - its silent on the point. Webster's Third lists both lexica and lexicons as alternative plurals. The Oxford lists citations using lexicons into the 1600s but not lexica at all.

Oh well ....

Borrowed words are funny once adopted I guess.

Thx

D

Muraoka would be great-- but as of Nov. '12 (per Helen), no movement on it (see also here). I hope that will change, but Hendrickson may be an easier publisher to work with, and I know Mr. Chamberlain is willing.

• Like 1

I have Muraoka in print, as well as his Greek ≈ Hebrew/Aramaic Two Way Index (both were presents to me). I recall introducing Gary to the acquisition folk at SBL last year. His work would be a welcome addition. More LXX resources would be an excellent strategy plan, as LXX studies seemingly are on the rise—but that could be because of where I am studying. Personally, I would like to see a more concerted effort for acquisition of texts (digital transcriptions and images). Digital e-text books are a fraction (and a small one at that) of the marketshare. Accordance's power is best wed together with texts, but it's a natural connection to include lexicons.

Edited by J. T.
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm looking at this post again tonight, thinking (1) I would still like to see Chamberlain's work in Accordance, and would buy it (even though I have it in print) if it were available and (2) you make a good point, James. I may be in a minority here, but manuscript images for the LXX (and transcriptions) that are similar to what Accordance has for GNT would be awesome. And only Accordance would have that--I don't think anyone else is pursuing that at the moment, though I wish someone (preferably Accordance) would.

• Like 1

I agree, Abram. During my time at Göttingen University this past summer, I learned of some intriguing plans afoot at the Septuaginta-Unternehmen. Felix showed me some exciting digital work he is doing on Codex Hierosolymitanus.

That's great. I look forward to watching the fruits of such labors as they unfold, at least to the extent that they are made public.

And only Accordance would have that--I don't think anyone else is pursuing that at the moment, though I wish someone (preferably Accordance) would.

Whoa, ho there! I stand corrected. This project is making Sinaiticus available, and it has been picked up by another Bible software company. I won't link to it, but I point it out because it seems that the transcription from the New Testament Transcripts project is being made freely available, so I wonder if that would be an e-text Accordance could use. (Not sure if they could sell it, per se.)

And it's Sinaiticus with its LXX portions (and some fathers, too).

• Like 1

I, for one, would be willing to pay for a tagged version of the above, as long as the NTT project folks allow it.

• 4 weeks later...

Me, too! I brought this up with Rex Koivisto at SBL. It would be fantastic to have a tagged Sinaiticus available in Accordance! The entire transcription (including all manner of data about correctors, physical data about each page, etc.) is available as a (HUGE) xml file on the project's website.

I think because of the licensing allowed by the project, a Sinaiticus text could be made freely available but not sold, so the trick would be figuring a way to do the tagging so that the cost of development could be recouped, I imagine.

I, for one, have a vested interest in having a tagged Sinaiticus Psalter for my research, and would be more than willing to put in many hours helping make it possible…

• Like 1

Heck, if it meant getting it, I'd even be up for an untagged version of it in Accordance. It could scroll in parallel with other Bibles, of course.