Cornerstone Biblical Commentary (20 Volumes)
Category: Commentaries | Install Options: Download only | Minimum Acc Version: 10.4
Requires Accordance 10.4 or above.
The Cornerstone Biblical Commentary offers outstanding, fresh, and accurate scholarship on every book of the Bible. It is designed to help pastors, teachers, and students of the Bible understand the meaning of the Word of God.
Written by many of the same scholars who worked on the New Living Translation (NLT) Bible, the Cornerstone Biblical Commentary is the product of years of meticulous work. Each of the nearly 40 scholars is well-known, and a wide spectrum of theological positions within the evangelical community is represented. Their time and effort will benefit you as you study the Bible. The volumes also will share the reasons behind the translation decisions made when creating the NLT.
The Cornerstone Biblical Commentary focuses first on the words of Scripture, then on the theological truths of Scripture. For each book of the Bible, you'll find a thorough outline and overview detailing the author, period, and cultural considerations. Each Bible passage offers a Notes section, where the commentator helps you understand the Hebrew or Greek behind the English of the NLT, which is cited at the beginning of each section. Following this is the Commentary section, where you’ll find the most valuable insight.
- Features fresh expository commentary
- All Greek and Hebrew words include links to the Strong's Numbering System
- Includes full NLT text
- Written by the scholars who worked on the NLT
This product contains 20 volumes which cover the entire Old and New Testaments. Each volume contains a well-researched introduction that presents a full book outline and detailed, important facts about the author, audience, canonicity and textual history, literary style, historical reliability, and book’s major themes and theological concerns. Volumes include:
- Volume 1: Genesis (Allen Ross); Exodus (John N. Oswalt) (2008)
- Volume 2: Leviticus (David W. Baker); Numbers (Dale A. Brueggemann); Deuteronomy (Eugene H. Merrill) (2008)
- Volume 3: Joshua (Joseph Coleson); Judges (Lawson G. Stone); Ruth (Jason Driesbach) (2012)
- Volume 4a: 1-2 Samuel (J. Robert Vannoy) (2009)
- Volume 4b: 1-2 Kings (William H. Barnes) (2012)
- Volume 5a: 1-2 Chronicles (Mark J. Boda) (2010)
- Volume 5b: Ezra-Nehemiah (Gary V. Smith); Esther (Gary V. Smith) (2010)
- Volume 6: Job (August H. Konkel); Ecclesiastes (Tremper Longman III); Song of Songs (Tremper Longman III) (2006)
- Volume 7: Psalms (Mark D. Futato); Proverbs (George M. Schwab) (2009)
- Volume 8: Isaiah (Larry L. Walker); Jeremiah (Elmer A. Martens); Lamentations (Elmer A. Martens) (2005)
- Volume 9: Ezekiel (David L. Thompson); Daniel (Eugene Carpenter) (2010)
- Volume 10: Hosea, Joel Obadiah, Jonah, Nahum Habakkuk, Zephaniah (Richard Patterson); Amos, Micah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi (Andrew Hill) (2008)
- Volume 11: Matthew (David L. Turner); Mark (Darrell L. Bock) (2005)
- Volume 12: Luke (Allison A. Trites); Acts (William J. Larkin) (2006)
- Volume 13: John (Grant Osborne); 1-3 John (Philip W. Comfort & Wendell C. Hawley) (2007)
- Volume 14: Romans (Roger Mohriang); Galatians (Gerald L. Borchert) (2007)
- Volume 15: 1 Corinthians (William Baker); 2 Corinthians (Ralph P. Martin with Carl N. Toney) (2009)
- Volume 16: Ephesians (Harold W. Hoehner); Philippians (Philip W. Comfort); Colossians (Peter H. Davids); 1-2 Thessalonians (Philip W. Comfort); Philemon (Peter H. Davids) (2008)
- Volume 17: 1 Timothy (Linda Belleville); 2 Timothy (Jon C. Laansma); Titus (Jon C. Laansma); Hebrews (J. Ramsey Michaels) (2009)
- Volume 18: James (Grant R. Osborne); 1-2 Peter (Grant R. Osborne); Jude (Grant R. Osborne); Revelation (M. Robert Mulholland Jr.) (2011)
12/24/16 Update: The 2.0 update adds page numbers and includes other miscellaneous corrections.
Cornerstone Biblical Commentary (20 Volumes)
• General Editor: Philip W. Comfort
• Consulting Editors: Tremper Longman III (OT); Grant Osborne (NT)
• Publisher: Tyndale Publishers
Where To Find
Cornerstone Biblical Commentary (20 Volumes) is included with the following packages:
September 19, 2016 | 6:16 PM |
This is one of the finest evangelical commentary series out there for it size and scope. It does deal with some critical issues but for the most part focuses on the meaning of scriptures for our lives. It expounds the scripture digging into greek and hebrew, provides insights into background of the passage and offers us clues on how to best live that out in our day to day lives. Here is brief snippet from the end of it's treatment of Psalm 101:
"Psalm 101 is a celebration of the Lord’s covenant commitment to his people—a commitment that empowers us to be committed to a life of integrity before God and in relation to others."
Mark D. Futato, “The Book of Psalms,” in Cornerstone Biblical Commentary, Vol 7: The Book of Psalms, The Book of Proverbs (Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House Publishers, 2009), 322.