Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the NT: Luke (Garland)
Category: Commentary Volumes | Install Options: Download only
Luke is the fifth release in the Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament series―the only commentary series with a graphical display, theology in application section, and identification of the main idea for each section.
Luke sought to assure believers about the truth of the gospel (1:4) and to advance their understanding of God’s ways in the world as revealed in Christ’s ministry, death, and resurrection. Luke wrote as a historian, theologian, and pastor, and Garland’s commentary strives to follow suit in assisting those who will preach and teach the text and those who seek to understand it better. The commentary presents a translation through a diagram that helps visualize the flow of thought, provides a summary of the central message of the passages, reveals how they function within the gospel, and offers an exegetical outline and verse-by-verse commentary that takes notice of Jewish and Greco-Roman background evidence that sheds light on the text. Christians interpret the Bible to make sense of their lived experience, and the commentary highlights theological emphases of each passage and applies them to the everyday struggles of faith and practice.
About the Series:
The Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament is a modern commentary series designed to help pastors and Bible teachers understand the biblical text in its original environment. Each of the contributing evangelical scholars carefully consider factors such as grammatical detail, literary context, rhetorical flow, theological nuance, and historical setting in their interpretation. While primarily designed for those with a basic knowledge of biblical Greek, this series is accessible for all who want to understand and teach the New Testament.
Each passage is organized into the following sections:
- Literary Context: Explains how each passage functions within the book
- Main Idea: Summarizes the central message of the passage
- Translation in Graphic Layout: Presents a translation through a diagram that helps readers visualize the flow of thought within the text
- Exegetical Outline: Gives the overall structure of the passage
- Explanation of the Text: Provides interpretive insights into the background and meaning of the text
- Theology in Application: Discusses how the message of the text fits within the book itself and in a broader biblical-theological context, suggesting applications for the church today
For even more information, see this article.
• Series: Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament
• General Editor: Clinton Arnold
• Author: David E. Garland
• Publisher: Zondervan (2011)