New Features in Version 7
Accordance 7.0 added exciting new features and enhancements in many areas. Some of these have been described and illustrated in detail on the Blog, and links to those posts are included in the following descriptions
See new the new features since 7.0.
Arrange Modules window: The Arrange Modules window lets you group your modules in subcategories of your own choosing, separate items with divider lines, alphabetize modules in a group, etc. These changes then become reflected in the corresponding menus of Accordance. More than just an organization tool, the Arrange Modules window can be left open and used as an alternative method for locating and opening modules.
Text Sets: Text sets let you group different Biblical and non-Biblical texts for opening and searching simultaneously. This is analogous to the Tool Sets feature of earlier versions.
Favorites: A new Favorites item on the Resource palette gives you a single place to access your most-used modules. If you can't remember whether Wallace's Greek Grammar is a Greek Tool or a General Tool, put it in the Favorites and you'll always know where to find it.
Extra Search Features
Root Searches: In addition to searching by lexical and inflected forms, you can now search Greek and Hebrew texts by root form using the plus (+) symbol. For example, +agapao will find every Greek word derived from that root, including agape, agapetos, and agapao. You can also specify agreement by root in the Construct window, enabling you to find word plays in the Hebrew Bible and Hebraisms in the Greek New Testament.
Single-Character Searches: Easily search for punctuation, Hebrew vowel points and cantillation, or words containing any other single character by preceding it with the period (.) symbol. For example, .? will locate all the questions in the Bible.
Compare Texts: Want to compare two English Bibles to see how they differ? Want to examine textual differences between the critical Greek New Testament and the Textus Receptus? Just click the Compare Texts checkbox and every insertion, omission, and difference will be highlighted. You can also choose List Text Differences from the Display menu to get a listing of all the differences. You can even specify preferences for the comparison.
New Graphs and Charts:
The new Analysis Graph breaks down the results of your search by various subclasses of information. For example, you could search for any Verb in the Greek New Testament and instantly see graphs of the various tenses, moods, lexical forms, etc. You can do the same for any other part of speech, specific lexical forms, you name it!
Where the Analysis Graph plots the frequency of different categories of information across the search range, the Analysis Bar Chart and Analysis Pie Chart let you plot the total occurrences of a particular class of information. For example, if you search for every Verb in the Greek New Testament, the Analysis Pie Chart will show you that they appear in the Present tense 41.1% of the time.
Finally, the Table Bar Chart enables you to compare average hits, total hits, total words, and total verses by book or by chapter.
All of the new Graphs and Charts feature a wide array of new display options. The Hits and Analysis Graph can be viewed as bar, line, or area graphs, you can choose to display a grid, use a black background, select custom colors, etc.
For Teachers and Preachers
Slide Show: The new Slide Show mode lets you create a slide show from any tabbed Workspace window. Each tab becomes a separate slide that is expanded to hide most of the Accordance window controls and palettes. A new Slide Show controller enables you to navigate between slides. You can also navigate using mouse clicks and the arrow keys on your keyboard.
Auto-scroll option: You can now set a preference to auto-scroll text in a text window pane, enabling hands-free reading and teleprompting.
These new options combined with all the new charts and graphs make it easy to prepare exciting presentations in Accordance and share them live with your audience.
OS X Stuff
Support for OS X Services: Accordance now supports the sending of selected text to OS X Services, enabling you to send text to Mail, Stickies, certain word processors, Apple's Summarize service, etc.
Support for Multi-User Environments: Accordance settings files have been reorganized and are stored separately for each user in OS X. Among many benefits this allows for multiple users, and unlimited User Notes files. User files such as Tools, Notes, and Highlights are now stored in each user's Documents folder.
Auto-fade option for Instant Details Box: Causes the Instant Details Box to fade out of view when no information is being displayed.
New Highlight Capabilities:
- Highlighting in non-Biblical texts (Josephus, Qumran, etc.) is now supported, as is highlighting in Tools.
- Users can create and share multiple highlight sets and easily switch between them.
- Shift-clicking a highlight style will now highlight every hit word found by a search. This makes it easy to color-code an entire text using any search criteria.
Contextual Menus: A right or control-click in many window areas opens a contextual menu with the most important options appropriate for the area of the window that is clicked.
Help for First Time Users
Set-Up Assistant for First Time Users: A new Set-up assistant enables first time users to choose some basic set-up options (tabbed workspaces, default startup, default Bible, default text display, etc.) before they begin using the program.
Default Search Ranges: Several basic search ranges are now provided for users who have not yet defined their own ranges.
Visual enhancements include:
- New application and document icons.
- The use of drop-down menus in place of all module pop-up menus for a cleaner look and support for submenus.
- More white space around text window panes for a cleaner look and greater readability.
- The subtle addition of color to the Construct window.
- Additional colors for use with text, graphs, diagrams, maps, etc.
- Additional font sizes (11, 16, 21, 30, 42, 60, 84, and 96 points).
- Poetic formatting in Bible verses is now suppressed in the Instant Details Box, making it easier to see the whole verse at a glance.
Other enhancements include:
- An Alternate Text option in the Set Tool Display dialog lets you select an alternate Bible text for Scripture hypertext links. For example, you can set NIV for your primary Bible text, but have NRSV displayed for hypertext links to verses in the Apocrypha.
- You can now click on the Recycle icon (or the space where it appears if hidden) to toggle window recycling on and off.
- If you hold down the command key when clicking a picture thumbnail in a tool, a picture window will open with recycling turned off. This makes it much easier to open a series of tabs containing pictures (which in turn can become separate slides in Slide Show mode).
- When in a User Notes Edit window, you can now hold down the option key when clicking the up or down arrow to create a new note for the next or previous verse.
Return to Version Summary