Dictionaries for Ancient Languages

A.D. Riddle

The greatest benefit of using Accordance to me is HALOT and BDAG. Having dictionaries digitized, indexed, and hyperlinked is a huge time-saver. For that reason, I would love to see more ancient language dictionaries, even if you do not have the texts (yet) to which they could hyperlink.

For Ugaritic, I would like to have

G. del Olmo Lete and J. Sanmart

• Like 3

I admit these would be very cool. Are there any others who would purchase and use such tools?

I admit these would be very cool. Are there any others who would purchase and use such tools?

I'd love to have these, though it would probably be a few years before this poor student would be in the market for them. Of course, they would probably take a while to develop for Accordance...

Absolutely. But for the Ugaritic text/lexicon, it presupposes a morph-tagged text, correct? Anyone up for this? :D

I've asked for all of these at one point or another over the last ten years. Tropper's Kleine Wörterbuch might be good to have, too.

There's also the issue of how transliterated cuneiform could be searched more intelligently if/when we could get Akkadian texts.

In all seriousness, I'd tag KTU3 with basic info if/when it appears (AOAT 360) and we can license it.

I'd love to have these, though it would probably be a few years before this poor student would be in the market for them.

I second this comment.

I wonder if it would be possible to get some Akkadian texts into Accordance... I'm thinking particularly of the SAA series which is already basically tagged and on-line: http://oracc.museum.upenn.edu/saa/corpus

I don't know what the licensing issues would be, but it would be pretty awesome to have it all in Accordance.

I've asked for all of these at one point or another over the last ten years. Tropper's Kleine W

The folks at Chicago have done us a great service in releasing free PDF versions of the CAD. These are reasonably searchable as e-texts, but tagging them in a more DB-friendly form would almost certainly be cost-prohibitive.

I also have a PDF of the CDA (Black, et al) but I am not sure entirely sure if it is legal. That text would probably make the most sense as an Akkadian lexicon to be included in Accordance.

Finally, why is Aramaic always the red-headed stepchild of Biblical Studies? We have Aramaic texts already, what I would really like are Sokoloff's JBA and JPA.

... CDA (Black, et al)... That text would probably make the most sense as an Akkadian lexicon to be included in Accordance.

Finally, why is Aramaic always the red-headed stepchild of Biblical Studies? We have Aramaic texts already, what I would really like are Sokoloff's JBA and JPA.

Agreed.

I would also add Sokoloff's recent revision of Brokelman's Syriac lexicon... particularly for it to be tied with the Peshitta modules.

The folks at Chicago have done us a great service in releasing free PDF versions of the CAD. These are reasonably searchable as e-texts, but tagging them in a more DB-friendly form would almost certainly be cost-prohibitive.

I also have a PDF of the CDA (Black, et al) but I am not sure entirely sure if it is legal. That text would probably make the most sense as an Akkadian lexicon to be included in Accordance.

Now, now, Pete, calm down. ;-) Aramaic inscriptions are covered by DNSWI.

Certainly, Sokoloff's lexica would be nice, but if I remember correctly, he told me that the older of the two does not have an electronic version (even in-house) and so that would be a major task.

Yes! Absolutely.

• 3 years later...

We have met with Prof. Sokoloff and looked at his work. It would be extremely challenging to convert it for Accordance because of the complexity of the works. We also tend to think that Jastrow would have broader appeal, but there is no etext. It's not that we ignore Aramaic, it's just really difficult to find resources that will be worthwhile to invest in and make available.

We have met with Prof. Sokoloff and looked at his work. It would be extremely challenging to convert it for Accordance because of the complexity of the works. We also tend to think that Jastrow would have broader appeal, but there is no etext. It's not that we ignore Aramaic, it's just really difficult to find resources that will be worthwhile to invest in and make available.

. . . in the meantime, http://www.tyndalearchive.com//TABS/Jastrow/

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Logos has already an e-text of Jastrow.

• 1 year later...

Returning 5 years and 5 months later...

A 3rd edition has appeared of DULAT (I completely missed when the 2nd ed arrived):

Del Olmo Lete, Gregorio, and Joaquín Sanmartín.
     2015     A Dictionary of the Ugaritic Language in the Alphabetic Tradition. 3rd rev. ed. 2 vols. Handbook of Oriental Studies Section 1: The Near and Middle East 67. Leiden: Brill.

I would reiterate my interest in having DULAT, DNWSI, and CDA. R. Holmstedt commented: "But for the Ugaritic text/lexicon, it presupposes a morph-tagged text, correct?" The beginnings of such a work are in place, now.

A.D.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread- All of these would be great! I know the appeal is low for most but these would be great resources!

• 1 year later...

another +1

• 4 years later...

Reviving this thread to see interest.

The ones I have on the list are:

• A Dictionary of the Ugaritic Language in the Alphabetic Tradition
  • A Dictionary of North-West Semitic Inscriptions
  • A Concise Dictionary of Akkadian
  • The Assyrian Dictionary of the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago