Gordon

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:41 AM

David,

I was referring,of course, to my own subjective impression of pricing on logos and accordance for modules that interested me.

Take for example, the logos price on the Anchor Yale Bible Commentary series (86 volumes) at $1969.95 vs  the price on accordance which is on sale right now $999!     

A VERY big difference!

Edited by Gordon, 18 September 2014 - 03:51 AM.

• Daniel Francis likes this

‏ כִּ֤י לֶ֣קַח ט֭וֹב נָתַ֣תִּי לָכֶ֑ם תּֽ֝וֹרָתִ֗י אַֽל־תַּעֲזֹֽבוּ׃

#22 Brian K. Mitchell

Brian K. Mitchell

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:47 AM

bkMitchell, could you please clarify what you mean by "migrating away from Windows"?  :(

Sure, I think a lot of people are sticking with Windows 7 rather than moving on to Windows 8 /8.1 (Just as many stuck with XP). Also, because of the recent popularity of the Ipad and Iphone many have gotten a lot more fond of Apple Products and have been leaving Windows. I believe if Windows 9 is not significantly better than 8/8.1 more people may mirgrate to Apple. Right now I think the only thing that stops more from moving to Apple products is the price tag, but if Mac Book Pro's were the same price as mid priced Windows PC/ Linux PCs I think more would make the change. If, you look at a recent Logos video on the homepage of faithlife.com Logos Blog post (for Fri, September 12, 2014) you will notice that most if not all the computers in that video are apple products. That is another sign that Apple is become more accepted, these days.

Edited by bkMitchell, 18 September 2014 - 09:08 AM.

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Currently running Accordance on:

Windows 10 (64bit)

FRNX Series  (2015)
Core i7-4710 MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz

#23 Gordon

Gordon

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:50 AM

Sure, I think a lot of people are sticking with Windows 7 rather than moving on to Windows 8 /8.1 (Just as many stuck with XP). Also, because of the recent popularity of the Ipad and Iphone many have gotten a lot more fond of Apple Products and have been leaving Windows. I believe if Windows 9 is not significantly better than 8/8.1 more people may mirgrate to Apple. Right now I think the only thing that stops more from moving to Apple products is the price tag, but if Mac Book Pro's were the same price as mid priced Windows PC/ Linux PCs I think more would make the change. If, you look at a recent Logos video on the homepage of faithlife.com you will notice that most if not all the computers in that video are apple products. That is another sign that Apple is become more accepted, these days.

I did not update to windows 8 and remain with windows 7.  My computer guy warned me against windows 8.  

#24 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:09 AM

Gordon, the price differences varies based on each products. Some books will be cheaper in Accordance (Like the great price we recently got for the WBC) while on others Logos will be cheaper. But in rare occasion the difference is large. 

But what makes Logos more accessible is the flexible payment plan. 

Dynamic pricing means that whatever you Logos will take it into consideration whenever you upgrade. Let say you buy three volumes from the WBC and then decide 6 month later that you love the series and want to buy it. Logos will give you a discount for the books you already own. Same thing if you upgrade from Silver to Gold, whatever books you acquire that are now included in Gold (although were not part of Silver) Logos will give you a credit toward the purchase of the Gold so you do not have to pay twice for the same books. 

They also offer community pricing by which the user community bids on the resources and when it gains enough interest it goes into production saving you money because the community set the price for it.

Lastly, the have a pre-puirchase program which you get discounts if you pre buy before it goes live. Of course, you do not pay for it until you get the book.

I like the sound of this, Accordance should offer this on all their products.

#25 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:18 AM

They also offer community pricing by which the user community bids on the resources and when it gains enough interest it goes into production saving you money because the community set the price for it.

This smells like vapourware to me. But then it works for Kickstarter.

#26 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 11,594 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:02 AM

Sorry about the thread derail, but I remember reporting a handful of errors and typos in the HALOT (Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament) by Koehler-Baumgartner using the Report a Correction a week ago - but seeing that I wanted to report them all in one go, I didn't highlight the relevant sections first. Instead I wrote down the page numbers (rather than the paragraph numbers) and also quoted the mistakes manually. Does that mean I have to do it over, or did my report get through?I am sure that

I am sure that when we get around to updating HALOT we will be able to figure out your corrections. Thanks for sending them in.

• Peter Brylov Christensen likes this
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#27 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 11,594 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:07 AM

We will introduce very soon a custom upgrade to all the collections and some other bundles that will only charge you for the new modules you are acquiring. That should help the upgrades. We occasionally offer pre-pub specials. We do not have plans to introduce community pricing.

• Michael J. Bolesta, Greg Terry, Daniel Francis and 10 others like this
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#28 rcdeacon

rcdeacon

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Interests:Bible, computers

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:21 AM

Looking forward to this and any new stuff in the pipeline!

Bob Deacon

2017 MacBook Air, Accordance 12

MacOs 10.14 Mojave Public Beta

Ipad Air 2

IOS 12 Public Beta

Dell Inspiron laptop, Windows 10 Spring 2018 Edition

Pastor

Buckhorn Baptist Church

Como, NC

#29 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:14 AM

We will introduce very soon a custom upgrade to all the collections and some other bundles that will only charge you for the new modules you are acquiring. ...

Great! Good idea.

• davidmedina likes this
Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Editor, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

#30 Robert Holmstedt

Robert Holmstedt

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 826 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:45 AM

I've been using Accordance since 1995 and don't find any of the claims (excluding #3, since I use a Mac) accurate when properly contextualized (e.g., all programs have more stable and less stable iterations). And I've had Logos since 2005.

But, frankly, I find the whole comparative exercise to be slightly unseemly, as has been just about all the various comparative threads, excepting only those that are open-ended questions from people trying to decide which direction to do. There will be die-hards of both software packages (think Apple and Samsung for phones) and others should simply decide based on whatever variables are important to them. 

The initial poster in the Logos forum could have take the high road and simply thanked Logos for what he appreciated about their product, rather than establishing such a negative and fruitless trajectory at the outset. The way it was formulated sullied any subsequent reader. 

Can we end this thread now?

• Michael J. Bolesta, Julia Falling, JSGilliom and 4 others like this
Professor, Hebrew and Northwest Semitic Languages
Dept. of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations
The University of Toronto
blog: ancienthebrewgrammar.wordpress.com
https://utoronto.aca...RobertHolmstedt

#31 davidmedina

davidmedina

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Interests:God, my family, the Bible, photography and film.

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:48 AM

David,

I was referring,of course, to my own subjective impression of pricing on logos and accordance for modules that interested me.

Take for example, the logos price on the Anchor Yale Bible Commentary series (86 volumes) at $1969.95 vs  the price on accordance which is on sale right now $999!     

A VERY big difference!

That is not a fair comparison.You need to compare regular prices with regular prices and not temporary sales to make your point.

AYBC in Accordance is regularly $1,499 and is on sale for $999.  In Logos is $1,969. So yes, in this case there is a difference but not of $1,000 as you make it look.

Some regular prices will be in occasion more in one place and vice versa. And occasionally you can get great deal with either one like the AYBC in your case and the WBC in my case with Accordance and the AYBD for $189 in my case with Logos. 

One thing that Logos offer is that when you call you can get deals not advertised on the website and you can frequently tell them what you want and they are able to put together special deals for you. I know that some people complain that Logos is very business-like and some think they are hard salesman. perhaps, but thanks to that approach I have gotten great deals and that is one of the reason my library is always expanding in Logos with Books that I want and unfortunately not with Accordance.

Lets take other examples

Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary:

Accordance: $269   Logos $269  (I recently bought it at logos for $189)

Bible Speak Today

Accordance $91.90 and Logos $99.65 (I bought at logos for $69)

Little Kittel

Accordance: $69.90   Logos: $56.95

Big Kittel

Accordance $249    Logos $199

NIVAC

Accordance $1,138   Logos: $949

Baker Exegetical

Accordance $729   Logos $729.25

Pillar Commentary

Accordance (14 volumes) : $399   Logos (15 Volumes): $524 (I got it at logos for $299 on a sale and have with Accordance as part of the collection which is pretty nice).

NAC

Accordance: $549     Logos $509

My point is that you need to go resource by resource and you will find that who is cheaper varies a lot. Both companies strive to offer the best deals they can to their users. Some times you will get great deals in Accordance and sometimes at Logos.

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Rom. 12:2

Blog: The Renewed Mind.

#32 tony10000

tony10000

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:00 AM

I think this thread has been useful because it has allowed us to get some things out into the open and to correct some inaccuracies recently disseminated on the Logos Forum.  I am sure it will be useful to those who are deciding which platform they would like to use.  I believe that both platforms are viable and useful tools for Bible Study.  We are truly blessed to have both Accordance and Logos!

We will introduce very soon a custom upgrade to all the collections and some other bundles that will only charge you for the new modules you are acquiring. That should help the upgrades. We occasionally offer pre-pub specials. We do not have plans to introduce community pricing.

This is great news, Helen!

Tony Thomas

www.zoeproject.com

Windows 7 and 10 Systems

iPad Mini 2G 

iPod Touch 5G

#33 Gordon

Gordon

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:39 AM

That is not a fair comparison.You need to compare regular prices with regular prices and not temporary sales to make your point.

My point is that you need to go resource by resource and you will find that who is cheaper varies a lot. Both companies strive to offer the best deals they can to their users. Some times you will get great deals in Accordance and sometimes at Logos.

Can you tell me what the price for the Anchor Bible Commentary series was when it was on sale at Logos? 

#34 R Gustason

R Gustason

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:45 AM

5. Quite surprised by this one.  I would think that if you buy some resources from a package or set, you should be able to receive some kind of credit when you upgrade.  Otherwise, you are paying 2X for the same resource.

I can't really comment on the others, as I don't really use Logos, or Faithlife, or Verso, or ...

But as to #5, I have personal experience that Accordance does deduct for modules already owned.  Case in point, I had purchased some resources indapendently, and a few months later I purchased the essentials collection and received a $100 credit for the modules I had purchased previously which were in the new collection I purchased.

My blog: Pentecostal Blogger

Hardware:

Late 2013 13" MBP Retina OSX 10.13, 8GB RAM

HP p2-1013w Windows 7 Home 3GB RAM

Dell Inspiron 15 4GB RAM  and Windows 10

Software:

Accordance: 12.2 on Mac/Windows

Accordance 2.5.8 on iPad Pro 10" / iPhone 6+

#35 davidmedina

davidmedina

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:53 AM

Ryan, consider yourself lucky as is not the common practice with Accordance. Just read Helen comment in this very thread. So, no, Accodance does not have dynamic pricing.

Another BIG difference is that Logos offers full no questions asked refund policy with 30 days for everything you buy from them. You bought something, decided is not what you wanted or had buyers remorse, just return it within 30 days and get a full refund.

Edited by davidmedina, 18 September 2014 - 10:55 AM.

• Dustin Battles likes this
"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Rom. 12:2

#36 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:56 AM

Two factual clarifications: (1) Accordance does offer a payment plan. (2) It's not "dynamic pricing" per se, of the sort that Helen references as coming in the future, but there already is in place a three-month grace period, described in more detail here under "CREDITS." I suspect this is what Ryan is describing.

• Gordon likes this
Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Editor, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

#37 tony10000

tony10000

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:01 AM

Another BIG difference is that Logos offers full no questions asked refund policy with 30 days for everything you buy from them. You bought something, decided is not what you wanted or had buyers remorse, just return it within 30 days and get a full refund.

I think this has to do with the system that Logos uses and the fact that it is always connected to the Internet.  They have the ability to control access to the resources remotely so they can add and remove resources at will.  By contrast, Accordance has a simpler download system.  Thus, when you download a resource from Accordance, they have no way to remove it from your devices. 

• Gordon likes this

Tony Thomas

www.zoeproject.com

Windows 7 and 10 Systems

iPad Mini 2G 

iPod Touch 5G

#38 davidmedina

davidmedina

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

Yes, Abrams, Accordance offers a payment plan which I am benefiting right now, but there is a significant difference.

Accordance payment plan is very limited in scope. While Logos is more liberal working more as a revolving charge card than a payment plan. To me Logos style of payment plan has been very helpful in allowing me to get the resources I want something I am not able to do.

I can go right now to Logos and purchase any book and get payment plan immediately. I cannot do that with Accordance. Just a different way of doing things, not right or wrong, just different. But if Accodance offered something similar and dynamic pricing (not just in 3 months grace period) I may have more resources in Accordance than in Logos.
  • Dustin Battles likes this

#39 davidmedina

davidmedina

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

I think this has to do with the system that Logos uses and the fact that it is always connected to the Internet.  They have the ability to control access to the resources remotely so they can add and remove resources at will.  By contrast, Accordance has a simpler download system.  Thus, when you download a resource from Accordance, they have no way to remove it from your devices.

Totally agree, Tony.

I believe it has also to do that Logos is a BIG company and that may allow them to take more risks.

I don't want to give the impression that Accordance is bad or wrong. Please, please, I hope I am not giving that impression with my comments. I think they have each have a different way of operating.

#40 yellowchops

yellowchops

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

Maybe the challenge is if Accordance did this they would cut off older users (before Accordance initiated their download system).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users