Search for meteg/gaˁya on shewa?

bpkantor

How do I search for all the instances in which meteg/gaˁya is on a letter vocalized with shewa?

I just realized that in the character palette these particular instances (at least) of gaˁya on shewa correspond with the "silluq" character. Is it supposed to be this way? There are two metegs and one silluq, and shewa gaˁya corresponds with the silluq apparently. I know they look the same but this can be kind of confusing.

It has been many years since we added the te'amim to the font and to the text. There is documentation in the Accordance Fonts PDF which is available on our Documentation page (although I see some bold face highlights are missing). There is no mention of gaˁya so I assume it is not distinguished in the database that we receive. We used the leaflet that accompanies the BHS, and Gesenius' grammar, to identify and place the marks, but where there are marks that appear identical but have different names, we use only one set of marks. So, for example, the Mayela uses the glyph for the Tipha. Since we provide up to three overstrike positions for each mark, we did not have space in the ASCII font to create any more characters. When searching, all positions of a vowel or mark are included.

As for searching. You can specify which character or wildcard a vowel appears on (such as sheva), but this is not true of the te'amim. These are searched using the character wildcard which is a period. You can specify which word the character is on, but not which character. So, for example, to search for a word with a sheva (shift-v) on a beit, and a silluq (grave) you would search for, without the spaces:

= * b sheva * @ . `

I hope this helps. Others with more understanding of the cantillation marks may be able to help you with your specific inquiry.

• 1 month later...

That makes sense. Once I realized that it makes it flow alright. Thank you.

This feature is very helpful by the way.