• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,690 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies/backgrounds & Patristics; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; excursions in my Jeep Wrangler
  • Accordance Version:13.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:27 AM

New for Accordance: Galatians: A Commentary is the latest, thoroughly researched commentary from renowned scholar Craig S. Keener. Filled with fresh insight into Paul's letter, this volume is sure to benefit all who read it. Add it to your Accordance Library for 25% off the regular price for a limited time!

For more information, please see today's blog post.

screenshots:

Keener%20-%20Galatians%20-%20macOS.png?d

Keener%20Galatians%20-%20iPhone.png?dl=1

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#2 TYA

TYA

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Interests:G-d; Moshiyach; Jewish texts; Israel; family; spreading good news, and serving G-d's people; making new friends (hopefully you!); Bible software's like Accordance :)

Panasonic Toughbook CF-31
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel I5 CPU (2.4GHz)
    8GB Ram
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:08 PM

Just curious, and I don't want to sound negative, but why are Dr. Keener's commentaries so expensive?  $45-55 for Galatians?  That's six chapters.  And his commentary on Acts is almost $200?

Again, I don't want to come across as negative.  He has some very insightful things to say, even from a Jewish point of view, but the price just seems steep.

• danielamari likes this

#3 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 4,690 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Interests:Biblical studies/backgrounds & Patristics; Eastern Orthodox theology/practice; time w/my wife, Kathy & hound, Lucy Mae; cooking w/cast iron & Tabasco; excursions in my Jeep Wrangler
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:02 PM

Much of the pricing is set by the publisher. We like to do better than our competitors when we can, but our royalties to the publisher also affect this.

Consider, though, the size of these volumes. Yes, Galatians only has six chapters, but Keener's commentary on Galatians is nearly 900 pages long. And his three-volume commentary on Acts is over 4600 pages long. That's a lot of content you're paying for.

Richard Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

#4 markusvonkaenel

markusvonkaenel

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 16 January 2020 - 02:59 PM

Just curious, and I don't want to sound negative, but why are Dr. Keener's commentaries so expensive?  $45-55 for Galatians?  That's six chapters.  And his commentary on Acts is almost $200?

Again, I don't want to come across as negative.  He has some very insightful things to say, even from a Jewish point of view, but the price just seems steep.

Just curious: what is to gain from this work from a Jewish point of view? I know only J. Shulam "Galatians" and one from FFOZ. There is one from M. Nanos, which I not yet read.... :) .

#5 TYA

TYA

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Interests:G-d; Moshiyach; Jewish texts; Israel; family; spreading good news, and serving G-d's people; making new friends (hopefully you!); Bible software's like Accordance :)

Panasonic Toughbook CF-31
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel I5 CPU (2.4GHz)
    8GB Ram

Posted 16 January 2020 - 04:51 PM

Consider, though, the size of these volumes.

Ah, now it makes sense.  That answers it, Rick.

what is to gain from this work from a Jewish point of view?

What I meant, Markus, is that Dr. Keener seems relatively good at providing the Jewish context, or background to the passage (among other cultural and literary contexts).  So while I would personally prefer to have Jewish authorship, Dr. Keener is at least good at providing Jewish background or parallels in the Ketuvim Netzarim.

Edited by TYA, 16 January 2020 - 04:53 PM.

• Mendel likes this

#6 markusvonkaenel

markusvonkaenel

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 17 January 2020 - 03:01 AM

Thanks, I stick with what I already own.

Edited by markusvonkaenel, 17 January 2020 - 03:02 AM.

#7 Diatheke76

Diatheke76

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Interests:Study God's Word with my Bible Software. Still trying to learn how to play the guitar.

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:26 AM

I got his volumes on John, Acts and Galatians for free this past Christmas 👍😁👌 Lots of content for sure!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users