Thanks for iOS update!

JSGilliom

I somehow managed to miss an announcement of the new version, so I'm just beginning to explore. This is a welcome and helpful update. The new capabilities are significant. But of course once you get to this level, other things become obviously necessary. Some of the comments/questions to follow may just be to the fact that I've only been able to experiment for a couple of hours thus far, so if I'm missing something, I'd be glad for a nudge in the right direction.

When amplifying or searching from a Greek word, why are the button options listed in a different order than in desktop app? iOS: inflected > lemma > root; but OSX: lemma > inflected > root. May seem like a little thing, but consistency between the two apps really helps.

I mentioned this as well in testing; just think it got pushed back to get it released.

I’m afraid I don’t see the purpose of the magnifying glass. How does it do anything different than simply pressing the same elements without the glass? Other than “eye candy,” is there a functional difference that I’m missing?

Are you referring to the magnify glass in the top menu bar? That's the only one I see and it of course has a purpose.

If I *amplify* from GNT-T to BDAG, a 2 finger right swipe takes me back to my starting place in GNT-T. That's helpful and intuitive. But if I *search,* then there is no “swipe return.” Instead the only way I’ve figured out how to get back is *3* taps: Search > History > Read, but then I’m *not* in the same place in the text; I’m in a totally different location (in the same text, yes, but not at all related to where I was!). Instead I have to remember which search option I had open—and it’s *not* always the first one listed!

A known 'gap' in the workflow; history needs to track this better. (side note: tap and hold search icon to view history)

The pop-up instant details window displays text the same size as selected for the main text window—which is often too large for a small popup window. That ought to be customizable—or better yet, for both the pop-ups and the main windows, why not implement the pinch/pull gesture to adjust size? It would be a lot more “iOS intuitive.”

We actually reduced it a bit from what it was. But, ideally should be a pref - just haven't gotten there yet. re: zoom gesture, I haven't seen any other reader that allows this in a popup - not sure if it's possible in that view. Scott can comment.

To get to the preferences dialog to change font sizes (or anything else), it’s necessary to first go to the Library window. That shouldn’t be necessary. It adds several unnecessary taps.

Will be addressed in 1.5.

In reading the forum I noticed several references to the Help files. Do you realize how hard it is to find the help command in the iOS version? Help ought to be one tap away from any screen. Instead you have to figure out to go to the Library window (why?!) and then tap the Gears menu (Gears is supposed to be for settings, or so I thought), then tap Help—which would appear to be Help for the Preferences, but no, it’s the entire Help system. Would it be too hard to have a “?” icon on every page? At least on iPad there’s plenty of room in either top or bottom bars.

Note sure I agree with adding another button to main toolbar, but it should be easier to get to the help. We can certainly discuss this.

Thanks for the feedback!

I mentioned this as well in testing; just think it got pushed back to get it released.

Are you referring to the magnify glass in the top menu bar? That's the only one I see and it of course has a purpose.

No, the "round glassy thing" that pops up when you do a "long press" on a word or ref. in a text.

No, the "round glassy thing" that pops up when you do a "long press" on a word or ref. in a text.

Oh, yes, of course; sorry. Well, it is pretty much standard for text selection (though is designed differently), and should allow one to identify more precisely which word to select.

Oh, yes, of course; sorry. Well, it is pretty much standard for text selection (though is designed differently), and should allow one to identify more precisely which word to select.

It's "standard" in iOS for locating the cursor to insert text, but I'm not seeing how it's any different from or better than the standard "tap any word" ... ? I guess somebody thought it looked nifty.

Rod:

In prior releases, when a user wanted to select a word, you pretty much had to make sure your touch position was on the word. If you were off some, then the press gesture would not be recognized. In v1.4, the long press gesture now brings up the magnifying view which will track your finger as you move it around the text view, selecting and unselecting words as it moves. Once you have the desired word selected, then you can release your touch and then, based on the word selected, we'll show a simple action menu or the new instant details view.

This type of magnifying glass to select a word is a pretty standard interface seen when doing an initial text selection in iOS apps. Unfortunately it is not system provided so everyone has to roll their own.

Hope this helps,

Scott.

And here I thought the problem was not enough meaningless "eye candy"! :) As far as I'm concerned, the magnifying glass is very functional, especially when I'm trying to do a long press on a footnote marker in a Bible text. I inevitably end up getting the word next to the footnote marker—something I can see immediately in the magnifier. I can then drag the magnifier around until it lands on the footnote marker I want. One of my favorite enhancements.

This needs a podcast, quick. I am constantly lost or stuck someplace with no way to get back to where I started. I used to be able to access BDAG. Now, BDAG is not available as an amplify option. I am constantly shunted to Greek Keys which I do not like to use. I want my BDAG back and I need help in navigating this whole program.

That said, I love the sync and I love being able to have my notes available. I am sure that my problems are not with the program but are rather due to my ignorance of how to use it.

Hi Rich,

Setting your default amplify tool is done via the Library Window, similarly to Accordance for Mac. Just drag (click the edit button to enable dragging) your preferred default amplify tool to the top of the list. To change your default Greek amplify tool to BDAG, move BDAG to the top of the list of Greek Tools in your Library. When amplifying from an English text, you will need to set the top English Tool to your preferred default. However, key numbered English texts such as ESVi currently default to the respective Greek/Hebrew keys regardless of Library order, as they do in the Mac version.

Once in Greek/Hebrew Keys you can touch the lexical form there and amplify to your top Greek/Hebrew tool. Then 2-finger swipe twice to get back to the text.

Once in Greek/Hebrew Keys you can touch the lexical form there and amplify to your top Greek/Hebrew tool. Then 2-finger swipe twice to get back to the text.

This two finger swipe is pretty cool. I had just been tapping on the library window icon to take me to the 'Recent Modules' window and then selecting the text I had been reading in. The swipe is definitely faster.

I tried this out and then realized I might like to be able to swipe the other way as well. In other words, once I've amplified to a lexicon and then swiped back to the text, I think I'd like to be able to swipe back to the same entry in the lexicon without having to amplify again. Is this something that could be implemented? Is it already planned?

I am constantly lost or stuck someplace with no way to get back to where I started.

I have this problem, too. It's annoying. And then when I want to just stop looking at a search result and want to just look at the whole text again, I find myself doing multiple taps to change to Verse and then layer down to enter the * asterisk. Ugh.

I just don't work with it enough to have it all learned yet, like maybe the search history (which I didn't know was there) would do this, but thing like this just don't come across as intuitive or obvious so I'm missing it. That's a problem inherent to a larger number of features, I would think.

The Help is live but is still in process of updating. Sorry, the server problems prevented us from doing it earlier.

The text of the Help files is now updated, the images will be updated over the next few days.

I have this problem, too. It's annoying. And then when I want to just stop looking at a search result and want to just look at the whole text again, I find myself doing multiple taps to change to Verse and then layer down to enter the * asterisk. Ugh.

I just don't work with it enough to have it all learned yet, like maybe the search history (which I didn't know was there) would do this, but thing like this just don't come across as intuitive or obvious so I'm missing it. That's a problem inherent to a larger number of features, I would think.

Joe: long tap on the Search icon, then select Read from the History menu that comes up. (A short tap opens the search view, but there's a History icon there, too.)

Outstanding enhancements, thank you so much! Accordance is continuing to set the highest standard for electronic Bible study, Mac and now iOS!

I really like this feature, it allows me to be far more accurate in what I am trying to do. Don't think about tampering with it...... Please.

Archived