Ideas! I need ideas!!!

Timothy Jenney

After nine years of podcasting Lighting the Lamp, I have to admit I am now out of ideas.

Got any suggestions?

I believe we now have up-to-date podcasts on every feature of Accordance, the most common tasks for which people use Accordance, a good selection of sample Bible studies, and even some reviews of popular resources. What else would you like?

Let me know!

• Like 3

(1) I watched the Study Bible video(s), and I think they were from version 9. I think it might be useful (to me) to see workspaces and workflows for using Study Bibles now that there is also the info pane, stacks, papers, etc.

(2) How about a series (maybe just one video), with the topic, "You might have missed this" and just go over some of the neat stuff Acc can do – shortcuts, tying panes and stuff like that. I am just in a rut and I don't venture out to spend time reading through the Help (for whatever reason I don't think I have the time). But when you point out what can be done in a video, it seems to stick better :)

I would love to see more featuring of usability of available packages. For instance, perhaps compare similar tools such as preaching helps like, Butler's Analytical, Pentz Expository Outlines, and the new Golden Nuggets series. Or, compare the various visually oriented tool like the PhotoGuide Series, Bible Places Series, and Carta Series. Some of these exist already but I am thinking of a more head to head value. This would help in making purchases.

• Like 1

Sorry, but I thought of one more. "Presenting Using Accordance" as a practical way to teach using Accordance. Perhaps the time could be split using the full version and the iOS version.

• Like 2

More on syntax searches please!

I have a bunch of workspaces I built up syntax searches in based on case constructions in Wallace. I have accompanying notes on it too. I haven't published them on the exchange because there is no easy way to configure links from the UT I wrote to load the workspaces from a different directory. We really need a directory variable syntax for supporting workspaces. I should write an enhancement request on that. In any case if you're interested ping me and we can figure out how to get them to you.

I agree that more syntax stuff would be interesting - what I personally think would be interesting is how to go from constructions defined in many grammars to searches that find such constructions. That's what I was doing with Wallace anyway. People might find that helpful. There are a number of such examples in the syntax modules forum but they are rather more dated now. The PDF doc on syntax is predominately Hebrew if I recall too.

Mine now is also likely somewhat dated and some bugs I note might have been fixed.

Thx

D

• Like 1

I agree that more syntax stuff would be interesting - what I personally think would be interesting is how to go from constructions defined in many grammars to searches that find such constructions. That's what I was doing with Wallace anyway. 

Love this idea.

Sorry, but I thought of one more. "Presenting Using Accordance" as a practical way to teach using Accordance. Perhaps the time could be split using the full version and the iOS version.

This would be awesome!

Searching the Journals. I.e. I still haven’t worked out how to do basic searches such as “find all journal articles with verse from John 5 and keyword eschatology”. (Searching for just John 5 or just eschatology is not fruitful)

• Like 4

Also, some of the podcasts that were interesting to me seem to be using an antique version of accordance that doesn’t even quit map to how it works now. I remember when I was trying to work out Greek diagramming, the video showed clicking and dragging that didn’t seem to correlate with my version of accordance. I bet there are some topics that can be updated for the latest accordance :D

• Like 1

I suggest you do a podcast on automating Accordance to do all the hard work of sermon preparation, e.g. date look-up, cross referencing to the lectionary or saint's days or other seasonal variables, choosing a Bible passage, they utilising a fuzzy logic algorithm to search all the related commentaries and associated modules and condensing that all down to three points (all alliterated, of course), that can be read out in 20 minutes. Please.

• Like 3

I would make the following requests

• Introduction to the use of the apparatus available - in particular BHQ, LXX Goettingen, UBS5  and NA28 - and how to use their link and search options in Accordance
  • the LXX-MT - parallel  - or a podcast on comparison of the MT and the LXX - building concordances and comparisons etc. ( you partly covered this with the MERGE command podcast #128 in 2015)

many thanks for asking

• Like 1

Hi Dr. J,

Can you also demonstrate how to use the search on Hebrew accent marks for research?

Thanks,

Martin

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to import some personal documents into user tools or notes and how should I prepare the files to the right format Accordance needs to show different levels of contents, links...etc.?

• Like 1

teach us how to make swanky user layers in the maps like in your podcast #107. 

i think those with maps would like to see how to customise them beyond just using them.

and those without will be eager to get their hands on the atlas ;)

• Like 2

Thank you so much for the suggestions! You've got my little gray brain cells working again. I'll be drawing on these suggestions in the year to come.

Feel free to  post other ideas as they occur to you.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I suggest you go all out and become a professional "Youtuber" seeing as you have all the equipment anyway.

You just need to find a way to get Accordance to interface with Minecraft.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What can be done with English Pro Collection version 12 13 or 14 as prerequisite, that the Collection is not made for? Such as cognate languages, epigraphic (if You have Dictionary of Epigraphic Hebrew (DEH) as add-on to that), such as by through searches. I.e. based on content in commentaries included - even old and public-domain ones (as I'm a History of Ideas -buff I very much like to know if someone came up with something way back in time at least several decades or a century ago).

This would be helpful to discern more than what's likely/probable. To calculate the value for me of a high-end upgrade I really need to know more than what I can assume and it's really not helpful to know there are discount periods because I need to lay out very long-term strategies as it is ownership and may be passed on to a new generation in a very long time - so I don't want to keep the English Pro Collection even merely on my wishlist if that just serves as leaning to temptation for content rather than previews of what it can do.

Also adding to my way of supporting Accordance is that I don't want clutter in any form. My basic idea is that a high-end English Collection might at some iteration be worth my while if it differs enough from the expected builds (i.e. much that I don't have covered or covered in verbatim elsewhere), whereas I don't want even a mid-level (i.e. about exactly $400 - that's the only price-point of an upgrade I mint as "mid-level") languages upgrade. I buy languages as individual title add-ons (rarely used altough You can sell me that by contacting (I have HALOT and BDAG under Accordance)). I don't use the generic store-wide coupons.
Someone else doesn't have to follow my lead but I'm keeping an eye on this on the forums and sometimes search what podcasts there are.

I hade some foreign languages Bibles, good they are there to introduce more customers. (Which customers can be introduced may change soon enough in regards of purchasing power as some countries are now adding one or two of World's strongest currencies (not necessarily fiat ones), more about currencies off-site: https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/21989-ideas-i-need-ideas/?do=findComment&comment=113077)

I actually don't own an Android device, so I don't think it is likely. I may have to figure something out, though.

I actually don't own an Android device, so I don't think it is likely. I may have to figure something out, though.

Call on a substitute like Rick??????

Ps, very wise! I had an early one and quickly migrated. (Light fuse and stand back!!!!)

Edited by ukfraser

Call on a substitute like Rick??????

Ps, very wise! I had an early one and quickly migrated. (Light fuse and stand back!!!!)

I will be creating a few short (two to three minutes) Accordance Mobile for Android videos in the near future. Stay tuned. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...