Note: this post is a revision of an earlier entry in the series, “7 Strategies for Students Who Use Accordance,” which I am in the process of revising. The newly-revised series incorporates different numbering and brings these valuable posts up to date with the newest advances in Accordance Bible Software.
For many years, Accordance has been a lot more than biblical texts—it’s an entire mobile reference library for biblical studies. And in case you didn’t know, there are also quite a few textbooks available in Accordance for Greek, Hebrew, biblical studies, theology, church history, and more!
What’s the advantage of having a textbook in Accordance instead of a print copy?
- Textbooks in Accordance weigh a lot less than print textbooks. No more backaches from an overstuffed bookbag!
- Accordance textbooks integrate with your entire personal Accordance Library for amplifying and searching throughout multiple titles. Also, it’s extremely convenient to have your textbooks and your entire biblical research library—journals, lexicons, commentaries, etc.—in one convenient workspace.
- Taking notes in an Accordance textbook is a lot more practical than taking notes in a print textbook. For one thing, you’ll never have to worry about running out of room in the margins!
- Highlighting text in Accordance textbooks can take advantage of our many highlighting styles and symbols. You can even create your own styles! Whereas highlighting text in a physical textbook is always dependent upon which highlighters you remember to throw into your bookbag.
- Searching for a word or phrase in an Accordance textbook is much more convenient than hoping the index in the back of a print textbook covers exactly what you’re searching for.
- With a textbook in Accordance 14, you can answer workbook exercises or chapter questions directly in the text and then export them to turn in.
- All those notes and answered exercises can be accessed any time making convenient study for the next exam.
- Since Accordance can be installed on multiple devices across all our platforms (macOS, Windows, iOS, and Android), never worry about accidentally leaving your textbook at home again.
- Need to quote your textbook in an assignment? Copy and paste is much easier than typing it all out, and you can copy as citation in most word processors!
- Some of our Greek and Hebrew grammars include built-in voice annotations so that you can hear original language pronunciations. Print will never be able to do that!
- The Accordance store is never closed! No more waiting for the store to open to get the books you need!
With apologies to the author of Ecclesiastes, “Of the writing of textbooks, there is no end…” so we may not have every textbook required for your classes in the next semester. Nevertheless, don’t be surprised if we offer quite a few of them.
Pratico-Van Pelt Hebrew Grammar Workspace Example
In the example image above, Pratico & Van Pelt’s Basics of Biblical Hebrew (3rd ed.) textbook is on the left. The corresponding workbook is on the right. In Accordance 14 (coming soon), the exercises in the workbook can be answered directly in the text. These exercises can then be exported to turn if the assignment requires it, but they’re always right there with the text, instead of in a separate place that may or may not be convenient to access at any time.
So, how do you find out if your required textbook is available for Accordance?
As soon as you find out your required textbooks for the semester, go to the Accordance website and enter each textbook title (one at a time) in the search field at the top right of the web browser. As a student, you’re eligible for an academic discount, but you may also want to check to see if your school or professor has worked out any group discounts for your class.
Know what books are necessary for next semester? Why not add them to your personal Accordance Library now and get a head start?
Create a workspace for each class that includes your textbook and workbook, applicable biblical texts, and class notes User Tool. Add it to your saved workgroups for easy access from the Accordance Toolbar.
Other Revised Posts in This Series
#1 Save Specialized Workspaces
#2 Take Class Notes in Accordance