Israel’s Scriptures in Early Christian Writings: The Use of the Old Testament in the New / July 20, 2023
How did New Testament authors use Israel’s Scriptures?
Use, misuse, appropriation, citation, allusion, inspiration—how do we characterize the manifold images, paraphrases, and quotations of the Jewish Scriptures that pervade the New Testament? Over the past few decades, scholars have tackled the question with a variety of methodologies. New Testament authors were part of a broader landscape of Jewish readers interpreting Scripture. Recent studies have sought to understand the various compositional techniques of the early Christians who composed the New Testament in this context and on the authors’ own terms.
In this landmark collection of essays, Matthias Henze and David Lincicum marshal an international group of renowned scholars to analyze the New Testament, text-by-text, aiming to better understand what roles Israel’s Scriptures play therein. In addition to explicating each book, the essayists also cut across texts to chart the most important central concepts, such as the messiah, covenants, and the end times. Carefully constructed reception history of both testaments rounds out the volume.
Comprehensive and foundational, Israel’s Scriptures in Early Christian Writings will serve as an essential resource for biblical scholars for years to come.
- Editors: David Lincicum, Matthias Henze
- Authors: A. Andrew Das, Alexandria Frisch, Angela Standhartinger, Archie T. Wright, Benjamin E. Reynolds, Benjamin Wold, Claudia Setzer, David Lincicum, Dieter T. Roth, Dietrich Rusam, Edmon L. Gallagher, Elizabeth Evans Shively, Gabriella Gelardini, Garrick V. Allen, George Parsenios, Gerd Häfner, Gert J. Steyn, Grant Macaskill, Ian K. Boxall, J. Thomas Hewitt, Jaime Clark-Soles, Jennie Grillo, Jens Schröter, John R. Levison, Jörg Frey, Karl-Wilhelm Niebuhr, Katja Kujanpää, Marc Zvi Brettler, Martin Bauspiess, Martin Karrer, Matthias Henze, Matthias Konradt, Michael Avioz, Michael B. Cover, Michael Karl-Heinz Sommer, Paul Foster, Richard J. Bautch, Robin M. Jensen, Rodney A. Werline, Susan Docherty, Tobias Nicklas, Todd D. Still, Valérie Nicolet
- Publisher: W. B. Eerdmans Publishing
- Publish Date: July 20, 2023
- ISBN: 978-0802874443
- # of Pages: 1166
- Level: Academic, Semi-technical, Student, Teacher
- Language: English
- Categories: Uncategorized
- Min Acc Version: 11.2
There are no reviews yet.