Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the NT: 1 & 2 Thessalonians (Shogren)
Category: Commentary Volumes | Install Options: Download only
Use coupon code 3ZEC to get an extra 10% off the purchase of three or more Zondervan Exegetical Commentary (ZEC) modules in the same order.
1 and 2 Thessalonians is another release in the Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament series---the only commentary series with a graphical display, theology in application section and identification of the main idea for each section.
These early epistles show how Paul created his characteristic communication strategy: sending letters by a trusted representative, in order to strengthen his disciples and provide answers for new questions. The mostly gentile church of Thessalonica lived among people who mocked the gospel teachings of monotheism, personal purity, and the resurrection of the body. Paul writes that God had indeed selected to be his people and in time he would vindicate them before the world. Shorgen uses exegetical and rhetorical insights and Jewish and Greco-Roman background the bring out the meaning of his letters. He underscores Paul's work as church-planter and pastor, a man who consciously set himself forth as an example to believers. According to Shogren, the apostle still stands as a model for those who wish to proclaim God's word in God's way.
About the Series:
The Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament is a modern commentary series designed to help pastors and Bible teachers understand the biblical text in its original environment. Each of the contributing evangelical scholars carefully consider factors such as grammatical detail, literary context, rhetorical flow, theological nuance, and historical setting in their interpretation. While primarily designed for those with a basic knowledge of biblical Greek, this series is accessible for all who want to understand and teach the New Testament.
Each passage is organized into the following sections:
- Literary Context: Explains how each passage functions within the book
- Main Idea: Summarizes the central message of the passage
- Translation in Graphic Layout: Presents a translation through a diagram that helps readers visualize the flow of thought within the text
- Exegetical Outline: Gives the overall structure of the passage
- Explanation of the Text: Provides interpretive insights into the background and meaning of the text
- Theology in Application: Discusses how the message of the text fits within the book itself and in a broader biblical-theological context, suggesting applications for the church today
For even more information, see this article.
1 and 2 Thessalonians
• Series: Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament
• General Editor: Clinton Arnold
• Author: Gary S. Shogren
• Publisher: Zondervan (2014)