Use Accordance Editions of Textbooks (7 Strategies for Students #2)
These days, Accordance is a lot more than biblical texts—it’s an entire mobile reference library for biblical studies. And in case you didn’t know, there are also quite a few textbooks available in Accordance for Greek, Hebrew, biblical studies, theology, church history, and more!
What’s the advantage of having a textbook in Accordance instead of a print copy?
- Textbooks in Accordance weigh a lot less than print textbooks. No more backaches from an overstuffed bookbag!
- Accordance textbooks integrate with your entire personal Accordance Library for amplifying and searching through multiple titles. Also, it’s extremely convenient to have your textbooks and your entire biblical research library—journals, lexicons, commentaries, etc.—in one convenient workspace.
- Taking notes in an Accordance textbook is a lot more practical than taking notes in a print textbook. For one thing, you’ll never have to worry about running out of room in the margins!
- Highlighting text in Accordance textbooks can take advantage of our many highlighting styles and symbols. You can even create your own! Highlighting text in a physical textbook is always dependent upon which highlighters you remember to throw in your bookbag.
- Searching for a word or phrase in an Accordance textbook is much more convenient than hoping the index in the back of a print textbook covers exactly what you’re searching for.
- With a textbook in Accordance, you can answer workbook exercises or chapter questions in User Notes and then export them to turn in.
- All those notes and answered exercises can be placed in parallel with the content of the textbook for easy study for the next exam.
- Since Accordance can be installed on up to five devices (Mac or Windows laptops, iPads, iPhones, and eventually Android), never worry about accidentally leaving your textbook at home again (assuming you bring at least one of your other devices).
- Need to quote your textbook in an assignment? Copy and paste is much easier than typing it all out!
- Some of our Greek and Hebrew grammars include built-in voice annotations so that you can hear original language pronunciations. Print will never be able to do that!
- The Accordance store is never closed! No more waiting for the store to open to get the books you need!
To paraphrase the ending of Ecclesiastes, “Of the writing of textbooks, there is no end…” so we may not have every textbook required for your classes in the next semester. Nevertheless, don’t be surprised if we offer quite a few of them.
In the example image above (click/tap for a larger view), Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek (3rd ed.) textbook is on the left. The corresponding workbook is on the right. A User Notes file has been created to answer the workbook exercises. These exercises can be exported to turn if the assignment requires it, but they're always right there with the text instead of in a separate place that may or may not be convenient to access at any time.
So, how do you find out if your required textbook is available for Accordance?
As soon as you find out your required textbooks for the semester, go to the Accordance website and enter each textbook title (one at a time) in the search field at the top right of the web browser. As a student, you’re eligible for an academic discount, but you may also want to check to see if your school or professor has worked out any group discounts for your class.
Know what books are necessary for next semester? Why not add them to your personal Accordance Library now and get a head start?
Create a workspace for each class that includes your textbook, textbook User Notes, and class notes User Tool. Add it to your saved workgroups for easy access from the Accordance toolbar.