Published by InterVarsity Press
Series Editor: Thomas C. Oden
The Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture does what very few of today’s students of the Bible could do for themselves. With the aid of computer technology, the vast array of writings from the Church Fathers–including much that is available only in the ancient languages–have been combed for their comment on Scripture. From these results, scholars with a deep knowledge of the fathers and a heart for the church have hand selected material for each volume, shaping, annotating and introducing it to today’s readers. Each portion of commentary has been chosen for its salient insight, its rhetorical power and its faithful representation of the consensual exegesis of the early church.
The Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture is an ecumenical project, promoting a vital link of communication between the varied Christian traditions of today and their common ancient ancestors in the faith. On this shared ground we listen as leading pastoral theologians of six centuries gather around the text of Scripture and offer their best theological, spiritual and pastoral insights.
Today the historical-critical method of interpretation has nearly exhausted its claim on the biblical text and on the church. In its wake there is a widespread yearning among Christian individuals and communities for the wholesome, the deep and the enduring. The Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture seeks not to replace those excellent commentaries that have been produced in the twentieth century. It supplements them, framing them with interpretive voices that have long sustained the church and only recently have fallen silent. It invites us to listen with appreciative ears and sympathetic minds as our ancient ancestors in the faith describe and interpret the scriptural vistas as they see them.
The Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture is a postcritical revival of the early commentary tradition known as the glossa ordinaria, a text artfully elaborated with ancient and authoritative reflections and insights. An uncommon companion for theological interpretation, spiritual reading, and wholesome teaching and preaching.
Individual volumes included:
- OT Volume 1: Genesis 1–11: ed. Andrew Louth (2001)
- OT Volume 2: Genesis 12–50: ed. Mark Sheridan (2002)
- OT Volume 3: Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, ed. Joseph T. Lienhard (2001)
- OT Volume 4: Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1-2 Samuel, ed. John R. Franke (2005)
- OT Volume 5: 1-2 Kings, 1-2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, ed. Marco Conti (2008)
- OT Volume 6: Job: ed. Manlio Simonetti and Marco Conti (2006)
- OT Volume 7: Psalms 1–50: ed. Craig A. Blaising and Carmen S. Hardin (2008)
- OT Volume 8: Psalms 51–150: ed. Quentin F. Wesselschmidt (2007)
- OT Volume 9: Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon, ed. J. Robert Wright (2005)
- OT Volume 10: Isaiah 1–39: ed. Steven A. McKinion (2004)
- OT Volume 11: Isaiah 40–66: ed. Mark W. Elliott (2007)
- OT Volume 12: Jeremiah, Lamentations: ed. Dean O. Wenthe (2009)
- OT Volume 13: Ezekiel, Daniel: ed. Kenneth Stevenson and Michael Glerup (2008)
- OT Volume 14: The Twelve Prophets: ed. Alberto Ferreiro (2003)
- OT Volume 15: Apocrypha: ed. Sever J. Voicu (2010)
- NT Volume 1a: Matthew 1–13: ed. Manlio Simonetti (2001)
- NT Volume 1b: Matthew 14–28: ed. Manlio Simonetti (2002)
- NT Volume 2 (2nd Ed.): Mark: ed. Thomas C. Oden and Christopher A. Hall (2005)
- NT Volume 3: Luke: ed. Arthur A. Just Jr. (2003)
- NT Volume 4a: John 1–10: ed. Joel C. Elowsky (2006)
- NT Volume 4b: John 11–21: ed. Joel C. Elowsky (2007)
- NT Volume 5: Acts: ed. Francis Martin (2006)
- NT Volume 6: (2nd Ed.), Romans: ed. Gerald Bray (2005)
- NT Volume 7: (2nd Ed.), 1-2 Corinthians: ed. Gerald Bray (2005)
- NT Volume 8: (2nd Ed.), Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, ed. Mark J. Edwards (2005)
- NT Volume 9: Colossians, 1-2 Thessalonians, 1-2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, ed. Peter Gorday (2000)
- NT Volume 10: Hebrews: ed. Erik M. Heen and Philip D. W. Krey (2005)
- NT Volume 11: James, 1-2 Peter, 1-3 John, Jude, ed. Gerald Bray (2000)
- NT Volume 12: Revelation: ed. William C. Weinrich (2005)
Click here to find the ACCS Complete.