The New International Commentary on the Old Testament
- Series: The New International Commentary on the Old Testament (NICOT)
- Current Release: 29 Volumes, 3 Revised
- General Editors: R. K. Harrison, Robert L. Hubbard Jr.
- Publisher: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company
- NICOT Old Testament Volume History
- NICOT Old Testament Upgrade Options
- For Details on the New Testament NICNT Series, see this article.
“In the Old Testament we read God’s word as it was spoken to his people Israel. Today, thousands of years later, we hear in these thirty-nine books his inspired and authoritative message for us.”
These twin convictions, shared by all of the contributors to The New International Commentary on the Old Testament, define the goal of this ambitious series of commentaries. For those many modern readers who find the Old Testament to be strange and foreign soil, the NICOT series serves as an authoritative guide bridging the cultural gap between today’s world and the world of ancient Israel. Each NICOT volume aims to help us hear God’s word as clearly as possible.
Scholars, pastors, and serious Bible students will welcome the fresh light that this commentary series casts on ancient yet familiar biblical texts. The contributors apply their proven scholarly expertise and wide experience as teachers to illumine our understanding of the Old Testament. As gifted writers, they present the results of the best recent research in an interesting manner.
- February 2016 Series Update: Added Judges (2012) and Psalms (2014)
- February 2019 Series Update: Added Zechariah (2016) and an updated Haggai/Malachi (2017).
- January 2021 Series Update: Added 2 Samuel (2019) and Amos (2020).
- November 2021 Series Update: Updated Nahum, Habakkuk, and Zephaniah (2021).
- April 2022 Series Update: Updated Jeremiah (2021) and added Lamentations (2022).
Each commentary opens with an introduction to the biblical book, looking especially at questions concerning its background, authorship, date, purpose, structure, and theology. A select bibliography also points readers to resources for their own study. The author’s own translation from the original Hebrew forms the basis of the commentary proper. Verse-by-verse comments nicely balance in-depth discussions of technical matters — textual criticism, critical problems, and so on — with exposition of the biblical writer’s theology and its implications for the life of faith today.
NICOT (29 Volumes, 3 Revised)
List Price $1,465
Regular Price $899
The OT volumes listed below are also available for individual purchase.
- The Book of Genesis, Chapters 1–17–Victor P. Hamilton (1990)
- The Book of Genesis, Chapters 18–50–Victor P. Hamilton (1995)
- The Book of Leviticus–Gordon J. Wenham (1979)
- The Book of Numbers–Timothy Ashley (1993)
- The Book of Deuteronomy–Peter C. Craigie (1976)
- The Book of Joshua–Marten Woudstra (1981)
- The Book of Judges–Barry G. Webb (2012) (Added February 2016)
- The Book of Ruth–Robert L. Hubbard, Jr. (1989)
- The First Book of Samuel–David Toshio Tsumura (2007)
- The Second Book of Samuel–David Toshio Tsumura (2019)
- The Books of Ezra and Nehemiah–F. Charles Fensham (1983)
- The Book of Job–John E. Hartley (1988)
- The Book of Psalms–DeClaissé-Walford, Jacobson, Tanner (2014) (Added February 2016)
- The Book of Proverbs, Chapters 1–15–Bruce K. Waltke (2004)
- The Book of Proverbs, Chapters 15–31–Bruce K. Waltke (2005)
- The Book of Ecclesiastes–Tremper Longman III (1997)
- Song of Songs–Tremper Longman III (2001)
- The Book of Isaiah, Chapters 1–39–John N. Oswalt (1996)
- The Book of Isaiah, Chapters 40–66–John N. Oswalt (1997)
- The Book of Jeremiah–John Goldingay (2021) (Added April 2022)
- The Book of Lamentations–John Goldingay (2022) (Added April 2022)
- The Book of Ezekiel, Chapters 1–24–Daniel Block (1997)
- The Book of Ezekiel, Chapters 25–48–Daniel Block (1998)
- The Book of Hosea–J. Andrew Dearman (2010)
- The Books of Joel, Obadiah, Jonah, and Micah–Leslie C. Allen (1976)
- The Book of Amos–M. Daniel Carroll R. (2020)
- The Books of Nahum, Habakkuk, and Zephaniah–Thomas Renz (2021)
- The Books of Haggai and Malachi–Mignon R. Jacobs (2017) (Added February 2019)
- The Book of Zechariah–Mark Boda (2016) (Added February 2019)
Note: The 1980 version of Jeremiah (NICOT-Jeremiah), the 1987 version of Haggai/Malachi (NICOT-Hag & Mal) and the 1990 version of Nahum, Habakkuk, and Zephaniah that were available in earlier sets are no longer available in the latest set because they have been replaced by revised editions. The earlier volumes can, however, still be purchased individually.
Old Testament Volume History
Along with the volume history grid below, the module name is also listed for the individual volume names.
|2 Samuel (2019)
(NICOT-Ezra & Neh)
|Song of Songs
|Jeremiah (Thomas, 1980)
|Jeremiah (Goldingay, 2021)
|Joel, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah
(NICOT-Joel Obad Jon Mic)
|Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah (1990)
(NICOT-Nah Hab Zeph)
|Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah (2021)
(NICOT-Nah Hab Zeph)
(NICOT-Hag & Mal)
Old Testament Upgrade Options
Upgrade from NICOT-23 to NICOT-29R3 (29 Volumes, 3 Revised)
**Adds new volumes on Judges, 2 Samuel, Psalms, Lamentations, Amos, and Zechariah and updated/revised versions of Jeremiah, Haggai/Malachi, and Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah.
Regular Price $376
Upgrade from NICOT-25 to NICOT-29R3 (29 Volumes, 3 Revised)
**Adds a new volumes on 2 Samuel, Lamentations, Amos, and Zechariah and updated/revised versions of Jeremiah, Haggai/Malachi, and Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah.
Regular Price $296
Upgrade from NICOT-26 to NICOT-29R3 (29 Volumes, 3 Revised)
**Adds new volumes on 2 Samuel, Lamentations, and Amos and updated/revised versions of Jeremiah and Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah..
Regular Price $221
Upgrade from NICOT-28 to NICOT-29R3 (29 Volumes, 3 Revised)
**Adds a new volume on Lamentations and updated/revised versions of Jeremiah and Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah.
Regular Price $152
Upgrade from NICOT-28R to NICOT-29R3 (29 Volumes, 3 Revised)
**Adds a new volume on Lamentations and updated/revised version of Jeremiah.
Regular Price $102
*Note: Prices are subject to change at any time. If the prices listed on this page are different than the prices on the individual product page, the prices on the individual product page should be considered correct.
Article updated April 2022 to add additional volumes.