An Introduction to Biblical Ethics (3rd Ed.) (McQuilkin, Copan): Walking in the Way of Wisdom / January 01, 2014
Requires Accordance 11.2 or above.
What should we do or not do? What attitudes, behavior and qualities are good? Can we be good without God? What is the highest good, the purpose of human existence? These are the questions the study of ethics seeks to answer.
Unlike many approaches to ethics, this book foundationally turns to Scripture, going only as far as Scripture itself goes. The result is an overview of biblical ethics that not only addresses the life of love and wisdom to be lived out by Christians as virtuous individuals, but also as Christians in community, in society and in a world of God’s creation.
Key preliminary considerations of love, law, sin and virtue are given their due in this thoroughly revised and updated text. The bulk of the work is then organized around the Ten Commandments and ethical themes springing from them—loving God (commandments 1-4) and loving others (commandments 6-10).
This new edition includes added material on
- ethical alternatives such as relativism, social contract, utilitarianism and evolutionary ethics
- the seven deadly sins as well as the cardinal virtues vs. theological virtues
- end-of-life ethics, stem-cell research, animal rights, sexuality, genetics and technology, and other bioethical issues such as plastic surgery and surrogate motherhood
- technology and its depersonalizing effects as well as helping the poor
- the church?s engagement in society and how Christians can make a difference in the media.
McQuilkin and Copan stay focused on how we are fulfilling the purposes of God for our lives—a will that is for our good and our well-being. This comprehensive study is the place to begin on the journey of living wisely, faithfully and obediently.
- Authors: Paul Copan, Robertson McQuilkin
- Publisher: InterVarsity Press USA
- Publish Date: January 1, 2014
- ISBN: 978-0-8308-2818-0
- # of Pages: 667
- Categories: Theology
- Min Acc Version: 11.2
There are no reviews yet.