Jewish Annotated New Testament, The (First Edition)
Note: This is the FIRST EDITION of the Jewish Annotated New Testament. The 2nd edition version of The Jewish Annotated New Testament is available for purchase. Also, an upgrade from this product to the 2nd edition is available here.
Although major New Testament figures–Jesus and Paul, Peter and James, Jesus’ mother Mary and Mary Magdalene–were Jews, living in a culture steeped in Jewish history, beliefs, and practices, there has never been an edition of the New Testament that addresses its Jewish background and the culture from which it grew–until now. In The Jewish Annotated New Testament, eminent experts under the general editorship of Amy-Jill Levine and Marc Z. Brettler put these writings back into the context of their original authors and audiences. And they explain how these writings have affected the relations of Jews and Christians over the past two thousand years.
An international team of scholars introduces and annotates the Gospels, Acts, Letters, and Revelation from Jewish perspectives, in the New Revised Standard Version translation. They show how Jewish practices and writings, particularly the Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible, influenced the New Testament writers. From this perspective, readers gain new insight into the New Testament’s meaning and significance. In addition, thirty essays on historical and religious topics–Divine Beings, Jesus in Jewish thought, Parables and Midrash, Mysticism, Jewish Family Life, Messianic Movements, Dead Sea Scrolls, questions of the New Testament and anti-Judaism, and others–bring the Jewish context of the New Testament to the fore, enabling all readers to see these writings both in their original contexts and in the history of interpretation. For readers unfamiliar with Christian language and customs, there are explanations of such matters as the Eucharist, the significance of baptism, and “original sin.”
For non-Jewish readers interested in the Jewish roots of Christianity and for Jewish readers who want a New Testament that neither proselytizes for Christianity nor denigrates Judaism, The Jewish Annotated New Testament is an essential volume that places these writings in a context that will enlighten students, professionals, and general readers.
- Brings out Jewish background of early Christianity, New Testament writers
- Explains Jewish concepts (e.g., food laws, rabbinic argumentation) for non-Jews, Christian concepts (e.g., Eucharist) for Jews
- Helpful for non-Jewish readers interested in the Jewish roots of Christianity
You may also be interested in the 2nd Edition of The Jewish Annotated New Testament which is also available in Accordance.
The Jewish Annotated New Testament
• Editors: Amy-Jill Levine, Marc Z. Brettler
• Publisher: Oxford University Press (2011)
- Editors: Amy-Jill Levine, Marc Z. Brettler
- Authors: Aaron M. Gale, Adam Gregerman, Adele Reinhartz, Alan J. Avery-Peck, Amy-Jill Levine, Andrew S. Jacobs, Barbara Geller, Burton L. Visotzky, Charlotte Elisheva Fonrobert, Claudia Setzer, Daniel Boyarin, Daniel R. Langton, Daniel R. Schwartz, David B. Levenson, David Fox Sandmel, David Frankfurter, David H. Stern, David M. Freidenreich, David Satran, Gary Gilbert, Geza Vermes, Herbert Basser, Jennifer L. Koosed, Jonathan Brumberg-Kraus, Jonathan Klawans, Joshua D. Garroway, Julie Galambush, Lawrence M. Wills, Lee I. Levine, Leonard Greenspoon, Marc Zvi Brettler, Mark D. Nanos, Martha Himmelfarb, Martin Goodman, Martin Lockshin, Maxine Grossman, Michael Cook, Michael Fagenblat, Michael R. Greenwald, Michele Murray, Naomi Koltun-Fromm, Naomi Seidman, Pamela Eisenbaum, Peter Zaas, Rebecca Lesses, Ross S. Kraemer, Shaye J. D. Cohen, Shira Lander, Susannah Heschel, Tal Ilan
- Publisher: Oxford University Press
- Bible Book: New Testament
- Level: Popular
- Tradition: Jewish
- Categories: Commentaries, Study Bible Notes
Where to Find
Jewish Annotated New Testament, The (First Edition) is included with the following packages
|Primary Collections||Coll12-EngMaster1016||English Master Collection (Accordance 12) (October 2016)||24999|
|Primary Collections||Coll12-EngMaster0117||English Master Collection (Accordance 12) (January 2017)||25799|
|Primary Collections||Coll12-EngMaster0417||English Master Collection (Accordance 12) (April 2017)||26799|
|Primary Collections||Coll12-EngMaster0717||English Master Collection (Accordance 12) (July 2017)||27999|
|Primary Collections||Coll12-EngMaster1017||English Master Collection (Accordance 12) (October 2017)||29999|
|Primary Collections||Coll12-EngMaster0218||English Master Collection (Accordance 12) (February 2018)||30899|
|Primary Collections||Coll12-EngMaster0518||English Master Collection (Accordance 12) (May 2018)||31599|
|Primary Collections||Coll12-EngMaster0818||English Master Collection (Accordance 12) (August 2018)||33399|
|Primary Collections||Coll12-EngMaster1118||English Master Collection (Accordance 12) (November 2018)||33999|
|Primary Collections||Coll13-EngPro||English Pro Collection||999|
|Add-on Bundles||All-in-All 1Q15||All-in-All Accordance Program (1st Quarter 2015)||15999|
|Add-on Bundles||All-in-All 2Q15||All-in-All Accordance Program (2nd Quarter 2015)||16999|
|Add-on Bundles||All-in-All 3Q15||All-in-All Accordance Program (3rd Quarter 2015)||18699|
|Add-on Bundles||All-in-All 4Q15||All-in-All Accordance Program (4th Quarter 2015)||19999|
|Add-on Bundles||All-in-All 1Q16||All-in-All Accordance Program (1st Quarter 2016)||21249|
|Add-on Bundles||All-in-All 3Q16||All-in-All Accordance Program (3rd Quarter 2016)||23999|
There are no reviews yet.