JPS Bible Commentary: The Megillot (4 Volumes) (The Song of Songs, Ruth, Ecclesiastes, Esther)
Requires Accordance 10.4 or above.
For more information, see this release announcement.
Note: This product contains only 4 of the 5 Megillot. It does not contain commentary on Lamentations as that volume has not yet been published.
The Jewish Publication Society’s highly acclaimed Bible Commentary series provides a line-by-line commentary of the original Hebrew Bible text, complete with vocalization and cantillation marks.
This product contains the following 4 volumes:
- Song of Songs (Author: Michael Fishbane) (2015) – Unique to this volume are four layers of commentary: the traditional PaRDeS of peshat (literal meaning), derash (midrashic and religious-traditional sense), remez (allegorical level), and sod (mystical and spiritual intimations). Michael Fishbane skillfully draws from them all to reveal the extraordinary range of interpretations and ideas perceived in this beloved biblical book. A comprehensive introduction, extensive endnotes, a full bibliography (traditional and modern), and additional explanatory materials are included to enhance the reader’s appreciation of the work. This original, comprehensive commentary on the Song of Songs interprets historical, critical, and traditional sources drawn from the ancient Near East, the entire spectrum of Jewish sources and commentaries, and modern critical studies.
- Ruth (Author: Tamara Cohn Eskenazi; Editor: Tikva Frymer-Kensky) (2011) – The moving story of Ruth, with its themes of loyalty, loving kindness (hesed), and redemption, is one of the great narratives of the Bible. The extensive introduction places the book within its historical, literary, and critical context, discusses contemporary interpretations of the story of Ruth, and examines its major motifs and themes, among them: family, marriage and levirate marriage in biblical and ancient Israel, redemption and inheritance, hesed, and the book’s connection with the Jewish holiday of Shavuot.
- Ecclesiastes (Author: Michael V. Fox) (2004) – The Book of Ecclesiastes is part of the “wisdom literature” of the Bible. It concerns itself with universal philosophical questions, rather than events in the history of Israel and in the Hebrews’ covenant with God. Koheleth, the speaker in this book, ruminates on what—if anything—has lasting value, and how—if at all—God interacts with humankind. Koheleth expresses bewilderment and frustration at life’s absurdities and injustices. He grapples with the inequities that pervade the world and the frailty and limitations of human wisdom and righteousness. His awareness of these discomfiting facts coexists with a firm belief in God’s rule and God’s fundamental justice, and he looks for ways to define a meaningful life in a world where so much is senseless. Ecclesiastes is traditionally read on the Jewish holiday Sukkot, the harvest festival.
- Esther (Author: Adel Berlin) (2001) – This commentary approaches the Book of Esther from a fresh literary point-of-view. It includes essays entitled “When and Where Was the Book of Esther Written?,” “Sex and Spies,” and “Rabbinic Interpretation.”
- Series Name: JPS Bible Commentary
- Authors: Adele Berlin, Michael Fishbane, Michael V. Fox, Tamara Cohn Eskenazi, Tikva Frymer-Kensky
- Publisher: Jewish Publication Society
- ISBN: 978-0-8276-0744-6, 0-8276-0699-0, 0-8276-0742-3, 978-0-8276-0741-5
- # of Pages: 96, 95, 85, 338
- Bible Book: Ecclesiastes, Esther, Ruth, Song
- Level: Academic, Semi-technical, Student
- Tradition: Conservative Jewish
- Categories: Commentaries
- Min Acc Version: 10.4
Where to Find
JPS Bible Commentary: The Megillot (4 Volumes) (The Song of Songs, Ruth, Ecclesiastes, Esther) is included with the following packages
|Primary Collections||Coll13-EngExpert1119||English Expert Collection (Accordance 13) (November 2019)||2999.00|
|Primary Collections||Coll12-EngExpert||English Expert Collection (Accordance 12)||3999.00|
|Primary Collections||Coll12-EngExpert_0319||English Expert Collection (Accordance 12) (February 2019)||3999.00|
|Primary Collections||Coll12-EngExpert0519||English Expert Collection (Accordance 12) (May 2019)||3999.00|
|Primary Collections||Coll12-EngExpert_0519||English Expert Collection (Accordance 12) (May 2019)||3999.00|
|English add-on bundles||JPS 5 Commentary Set||JPS Commentary Set (12 Volumes)||399.00|
|English add-on bundles||Jewish Commentaries_19||Jewish Commentaries Set (19 Volumes)||629.00|
|Add-on Bundles||Jewish Commentaries Set||Jewish Commentaries Set||599.00|
|Add-on Bundles||All-in-All 3Q16||All-in-All Accordance Program (3rd Quarter 2016)||23999.00|
There are no reviews yet.