OT Library Commentary: 1-2 Samuel (Hans Wilhelm Hertzberg) (1965)
Requires Accordance 10.4 or above.
For more information regarding the OT / NT Library series, see this article.
Note: This volume should not be confused with the 2011 volume on 1-2 Samuel by A. Graeme Auld.
I & II Samuel provides comprehensive section-by-section commentary on the biblical books of First and Second Samuel. Focus is on the text and its historiographical background which is used to illuminate the nature and meaning of the text.
About the Old Testament Library Series:
The Old Testament Library is one of the most respected commentary series produced in the last 50 years. As with any series that reaches this level of respectability, it is comprehensive in scope while acknowledging that it is not exhaustive. Introductory matters cover historical concerns, cultural issues, the reception of the text, the integrity of the text, and other interpretive issues.
Each commentary provides a verse-by-verse analysis of critical exegetical matters that are then synthesized into a progressively building understanding of the text and interpretation. This includes analysis of problems in history, word meaning, syntactical and grammatical issues, text history, and many other exegetically relevant issues. Nevertheless, despite the breadth of their scope, volumes in the series remain relatively compact in comparison to series who share its aims and scope.
- Audience: Students, Pastors, and Scholars
- Perspective: Moderate/Liberal (See Author)
- Scripture: Inspired
- General Acceptance of Higher Critical authorship theories, and the reader should be familiar with these type of textual criticism
- Knowledge of Hebrew is not necessary, but a willingness to engage concepts from it will be necessary.
You may be interested in these other OTL/NTL products:
- 68-volume WJK OT/NT Commentary / Companion Bundle
- 46-volume OT/NT Commentary Bundle
- OT Library Commentary Set (31 volumes)
- NT Library Commentary Set (15 volumes)
- Classic OT Library Commentary Set (9 volumes)
- OT Companion Bundle (9 volumes)
- NT Companion Bundle (4 volumes)
- Individual OTL volumes
- Individual NTL volumes
1-2 Samuel: A Commentary
• Series: Old Testament Library Commentary
• Author: Hans Wilhelm Hertzberg
• Editors: Peter Ackroyd, James Barr, Bernhard W. Anderson, James L. Mays (John Bright)
• Publisher: Westminster John Knox Press (1965)
There are no reviews yet.