Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary, The (6 volumes)
Category: Dictionaries | Install Options: Download only
Yale Sale through Monday, June 1, 2020 (11:59 PM EDT). Cannot be combined with any other discounts.
The Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary is a six-volume state-of-the-art dictionary of the Bible, six years in the making, offering the most up-to-date and comprehensive treatment of biblical subjects and topics.
The most extensive Bible dictionary ever created:
- Includes six volumes of approximately 1,200 pages each
- More than 6,000 entries
- More than 7,000,000 words
- Nearly 1,000 contributors
- Multicultural and interdisciplinary in scope
- An unprecedented interfaith exploration of the Bible
- Illustrated throughout with easy-to-find references
- Extensively cross-referenced for comprehensive coverage of topics
- Easy-to-read article and chapter headings for speedy location of material
- Full bibliographical references following all major entries
Other features include:
- Articles on pseudepigraphic and apocryphal texts, Nag Hammadi tractates, and individual Dead Sea Scrolls, including the most recently published sectarian Dead Sea Scrolls
- “Minor entries” on personal and place-names that go well beyond the one- or two-sentence descriptions found in other Bible dictionaries
- Outstanding summaries of the latest research on the historical Jesus
- Fascinating new articles discussing the growing reappraisal of early Christianity's relationship to Judaism (Was Christianity an “offspring” or “sibling” of rabbinic Judaism?)
- Many articles illustrating the literary artistry of the biblical text
- Intriguing discussions of everyday life in Bible lands including articles that explore health and disease, the role of animals and plants in the ancient ecosystem, and the demographics of human settlement in ancient Palestine
- A richness of information unequaled in the history of biblical studies
For even more information, see this review.
The Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary
• Editor-in-Chief: David Noel Freedman
• Associate Editors: Gary A. Herion, David F. Graf, John David Pleins
• Managing Editor: Astrid B. Beck
• Publisher: Yale University Press (2008)
Where To Find
Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary, The (6 volumes) is included with the following packages:
March 10, 2015 | 2:33 PM |
This is without a doubt the finest multi-volume Bible Dictionary that is out. The scholarship and breadth of the articles is without equal. There may be newer ones such as New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible and there maybe old favourites like the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (both of which i own and value deeply), but of the three if I could own only one it would be without doubt the ABD and I would feel little hard done by the decision.
November 11, 2011 | 8:17 AM |
Although this is a non-conservative dictionary, it is still well worth the money! Pair this with ISBE for a conservative to non-conservative point/counterpoint study on historical backgrounds of persons, geography, overview etc...A must have with Accordance!