Commentators’ Bible, The (Set of 5 Volumes): The Rubin JPS Miqra'ot Gedolot /
Requires Accordance 10.4 or above.
For more information, see this article.
Five volumes of the acclaimed English edition of Miqra’ot Gedolot; translated and annotated by Michael Carasik. Now, for the first time, Miqra’ot Gedolot is available in an accessible English edition.
This bundle includes volumes covering Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.
First published 500 years ago as the “Rabbinic Bible,” the biblical commentaries known as Miqra’ot Gedolot have inspired and educated generations of Hebrew readers. With these volumes, the voices of Rashi, Ibn Ezra, Nahmanides, Rashbam, and other medieval Bible commentators come alive once more, speaking in a contemporary English translation annotated and explicated for lay readers.
Each section of this commentary series begins with a set of introductory questions provided by Isaac Abarbanel. Then each verse is expounded by the commentary of the rabbis (Rashi, Rashbam, Ibn Ezra, Nahmanides). Those rabbinic commentaries are then followed by explanatory notes and selected additional comments from the works of Bekhor Shor, Hizkuni, Abarbanel, Sforno, Gersonides, and others.
- Rashi — Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac (1040–1105)
- Rashbam — Rabbi Samuel ben Meir (ca. 1085–ca. 1174)
- Ibn Ezra — Rabbi Abraham ibn Ezra (1089–1164)
- Nahmanides — Rabbi Moses ben Nahman (1195–ca. 1270)
The Additional Commentators:
- The Masorah dating from the second half of the first millennium C.E.
- Bekhor Shor — Joseph ben Isaac Bekhor Shor (12th c.)
- Kimhi — Rabbi David Kimhi (1160?–1235?)
- Hizkuni — Rabbi Hezekiah ben Manoḥ (mid–13th c.)
- Gersonides — Rabbi Levi ben Gershom (1288–1344)
- Abarbanel — Don Isaac Abarbanel (1437–1508)
- Sforno — Obadiah ben Jacob Sforno (1470–1550)
Note: While the printed version of these volumes include 1) the Hebrew text of the Bible, and 2) two Bible translations (the old Jewish Publication Society translation of 1917 and the new JPS translation of 1985), they do not contain the actual Hebrew text or translations. They contain all the Notes, Commentary, Editorial Annotations, and Special Topics of the printed version. The commentary of these modules can be linked to run in parallel with any Accordance Bible translation.
“Anyone who is unfamiliar with medieval commentary, or who is unable to study the commentators in the original Hebrew, will find The Commentators’ Bible a worthy addition to their book shelves. Carasik has done a real service making this material available.” – The Reporter
You may also be interested in:
- Series Name: The Commentators' Bible
- Authors: Michael Carasik
- Publisher: Jewish Publication Society
- ISBN: 978-0-8276-0942-6, 0-8276-0812-8, 0-8276-0897-9, 0-8276-0921-1, 978-0-8276-0939-6
- Bible Book: Deuteronomy, Exodus, Genesis, Leviticus, Numbers
- Categories: Add-on Bundles, Commentaries
- Min Acc Version: 10.4
The following modules and groups are included when you purchase this package.
|Commentary Volumes||CB-Deuteronomy||Commentators’ Bible, The: Deuteronomy (Carasik)||69.90|
|Commentary Volumes||CB-Exodus||Commentators’ Bible, The: Exodus (Carasik)||69.90|
|Commentary Volumes||CB-Genesis||Commentators’ Bible, The: Genesis (Carasik)||69.90|
|Commentary Volumes||CB-Leviticus||Commentators’ Bible, The: Leviticus (Carasik)||69.90|
|Commentary Volumes||CB-Numbers||Commentators’ Bible, The: Numbers (Carasik)||69.90|
There are no reviews yet.